Chapter one: Sleep

• Dedicated to Don Oliveria

(AN: This is dedicated to the best teacher, editor and friend I have ever met :'>)

          It was about five ‘o clock in the morning by the time Carrius arrived at the base part of the hill.  The sky had a hint of plum blue scattered all around the white rolling lazy clouds, indeed, it was a day to do something as stupid and risky as to what he had in mind.  

       What rested on the hill's highest tip was a bricked, large, mossy tower.  He was simply marveled by the sight of the massive structure that he drew in a deep breath.  In response to the distinct noise, the elementals that lived in those secluded trees turned their glassy, inquisitive yellow eyes towards the sound of his breathing.  Obviously, not much of anyone ever took the longer path in heading towards the Elder’s Tower.

              “Carrius!” A familiar voice called to him.  He rolled his eyes upon recognizing who it was, but he chose to remain still even if his feet were both screaming out the flight sequence. 

            The unwanted tag along gripped him by the arm and with all her frailty pulled him towards her sight.  When they were finally face to face, Carrius chose to keep his expression stern,  his eyes fully capturing the whole of her beautiful view.  “Kayla, I don’t have time for this.” He warningly said. 

             Kayla was an ex.  And it would’ve been convenient for him if she still wasn’t prying along with his private businesses.  Because after all, whatever tirade they had before was completely terminated, well, at least for him it was. 

          His eyes rested on her fiery frame, and how badly did they just want to stay there forever.  Kayla was a golden blonde with luscious, seductive brown eyes, and to complete that model like figure, she also had high cheekbones, lips that were shaped to impress and a curvaceous body only Aphrodite can gift women like Kayla with.   

          Suddenly, he felt warm all over just by staring at her.  For a moment, backing out of the original plan seemed logical.  He of course wondered why, it’s not all the time that you’d feel automatically heated in the midst of a forest and it was suspicious enough for him to ever think twice of what he thought he should do.  So when he realized the oddity of the situation, Carrius instinctively looked at the hand that held him.  And he probably would've smiled wanly at her, if he hadn't prejudicely pried it out.  “Don’t touch me.” He commanded with gritted teeth.   

        Kayla though, didn’t seem to be intimidated with his shallow display of anger.  “Then stop being so impulsive.  Remember, you weren’t summoned by the elders,” she hissed at him quietly, “they will sever your head the moment you step foot on—”

         “Lady Helena has had a dream, and yet she chooses to keep it a secret.  How then will we know how to fix the situations of the leak in the Abyss?” His voice turned into a harsh whisper by the end of the sentence.

           She took a firm step closer.  “You cannot fix everything.”

           He smirked in response.  “This time, Kayla, I promise I’ll die trying.”

         Kayla immediately flinched with the double meaning of his sentence, her eyes were tempted to let loose those frustrated tears she once shed for him, but Kayla wiped them away before they even had the chance to fall.  She let go of him as she realized that his resolve of paying the elders a visit was just as stubborn as a bull's tenacity.  Kayla drew a step back; her knees trembled in a way it never trembled before.  She forcefully bit down the bitter bile that was starting to form in her throat.  “Fine.  If that is your choice, Dennis.” Kayla rather spat out venomously.