Chapter four: Past

The private school was polished from every brick to the last tile there was. An old janitor was silently mopping the door by her side, and he would occasionally sneeze and then wipe his nose within an every two minute lapse. The disgusting noises he was constantly making made Archelle impatiently tap her foot on the stone cold floor so she could drown the noise of his mucus.

               Archelle was leaning by the side of the conference room; apparently, she was waiting for her brother to finally be finished with the last meeting he was in. Dennis, you seriously haven't changed.  She mentally told her brother despite the fact that he wasn't listening, but unfortunately for now, she was more than annoyed by the sound of the janitor's rude sneezing. Beyond disgusted and bored, Archelle finally decided to let her mind wander for the meanwhile, besides, it was better than getting stuck here with a probably flu infected janitor.

                 It had been a shock for her when she heard and felt her brother send a message via mind 'chat'.  When he was still living with the family, they had developed that kind of system where talking could be done through mind to mind contact, but when he disappeared to Elluduras, the so called place where there were more individuals who were like him—the both of them actually.  Eventually, she had lost complete contact of him. It was like the line was finally cut and that it only resurfaced when Dennis came back again.

              It was even more surprising when she saw how young her brother still was. Instead of aging five more years, he looked as if he just aged a year when he should've been twenty three. By now, Archelle was nearly an inch as tall as him, if the world hadn't known they were siblings, people would've thought of them as a couple.  As for his reason? The air in Elluduras is different, it slows down aging.

                She was shaken out of her thoughts when to her extreme delight, the door finally opened and her brother stepped out, he was followed by other men and women who also came out with him. They generously gave Dennis their hands for a friendly handshake and tiny smiles that indicated nothing but the policy about being polite with new hired personnel.  It somehow reminded Archelle about a weird board meeting and those smartly dressed people and what they would usually do when they accepted a new employer into the firm.  Well, that would've happened if her brother didn't suddenly leave for Elluduras.

            Another beefy man who had an obvious balding spot in the middle of his head had approached Carrius and placed his somewhat heavy hand on Dennis' tiny shoulder.  This must be the dean. Archelle told herself silently.  He also had droopy eyes and a pudgy face, the only good thing that probably suited his frame was the fact that he was about six feet tall.  "It's sad that you just applied for a month, Mr. Klyne. We would've wanted you to stay." He morosely said.

                  Her brother smiled meekly in return.  "My pleasure, sir. But for now, it'll just be a filler job for me, I can't really stay."

                  The man made a face.  "But seriously, just consider staying, it will do well for both parties."

                 Carrius relented to a flattered laugh.  "Alright, I will."

             "Good man!" He uproariously erupted from nowhere that it shocked the very hair out of Archelle's skin.  "So, I will be seeing you around my good sir."

                   He nodded.  "I am looking forward to it, Mr. Manchester."

                The beefy man gave one nod and everybody else followed him out of the building.  When the coast was clear, Archelle walked towards the back of her brother.  She slowly tapped his shoulder, which resulted to him jumping a little.  Within normal circumstances, Archelle would've laughed at her sibling's silly act, but she decided not to.  The fact that they were both alone and that the janitor had probably left his post made her feel a teensy bit uncomfortable.  His sneezing would've made her feel a little less alone now.