Meeting the neighboors

Part 2

*Sunday Night*

Lexis POV

My Christmas break isn’t what you’d call festive; it didn’t even seem like Christmas at my dad’s house. We spent the entire time packing, moving, and un-packing. I think I may need back surgery later on in life with all the heavy lifting I did, but I can handle it. I found that Jacksboro is even smaller than I thought. The first day we were actually fully moved in, we had tons of families show up at our doorstep with welcoming gifts. Most of the families had small children, none any where close to my age which is what I was actually hoping for so I knew at least one person on my first day. But at about 7 o’clock, right when we thought we were done with visitors, the doorbell rang and my stepmother got up to answer.

“Hi, sorry if it’s a little late, but we wanted to say hi and welcome you to Jacksboro. We’re the Millers.” Said a short woman in her late 30’s.

“Oh well hi, we are the Rushins. Um its kind of chilly out would you like to come in?”

 “Oh sure. My name’s Susan, this is my husband John, my daughter Grace, and my son Derek.” She said pointing to the members of her family when introducing them.

The first thing I noticed once they walked inside, was how good-looking her son was. He was wearing a button up shirt, with blue jeans, cowboy boots, and a hat, which he respectfully took off when entering the house.

“Um im Cherry, this is my husband Bryan, and my step children Sara, and Lexi.” She said introducing me last as I walked down from where I was standing on the stairs.

As soon as I joined them I got a even better look at Derek, his beautiful features, and couldn’t help but stare. Our parents talked for a little bit then Cherry invited them to sit. Their daughter went with my sister to her room soon after we found that they were the same age. I decided to stay with my parents as the two families were talking. Deep in thought and not paying attention to the conversation, I felt someone nudging my side.

“Im sorry?” I said, hoping I didn’t miss anything to bad.

“What grade are you in?” asked Susan.

“ Oh, Im a freshman.” I said apologetically.

“So is my Derek!” she said, taking hold of his shoulder, a little to happily. “Maybe he could show you around so you don’t get lost?” She said. I wasn’t sure who she was asking sense she looked at Derek while saying this.

“Of course!” He said sweetly. Then the dog started barking.

“Lexi, could you go feed the animals?” Said my dad, not wanting to leave the conversation he was having with John about the oil field.

“Sure Dad.” I said.

“ I’ll help you.” Said Derek, getting up from the couch. As we were walking outside I could here my stepmother talking about how much of a gentleman he was. Our walk to the backyard was a bit awkward for neither of us knew what to say. But once we started getting the food for the cats, he started a conversation.

“So, umm, Im Derek.” He said in a cute, shy way.

“Um ya, you’re mom kind of already introduced you.

“ Oh ha-ha sorry. So um are you into sports?” He asked.

“Um ya. I run. Cross country, Track.” I said. I went to pick up a piece of leftover fence that had fallen when he stopped me.

“I got it.” He said grabbing the fence from me.

“Im more capable then I look you know.” I said, offensively.

“I don’t know. Blondes can be unpredictable you know.” He joked. I gave him a hurt look, while laughing at the same time. We walked in side, and up to my room so I could show him my schedule.

“Well it looks like we are going to see each other a lot.” He said while smiling.

“Why?” I said.

“We have every class together.” He said.

“Even my advanced classes?” I asked in disbelieve.

“Im smarter than I seem!” He said with the same offended expression I had given him earlier that night. I gave him a cute laugh. We spent the rest of the night talking about stupid things and getting to know each other. He and his family left right before 9. Apparently our parents had become best friends along with my sister and Grace. We were already making plans to go to a cookout tomorrow at their house, and apparently Susan was taking all us kids to school in her mini van. All this means im going to be seeing A LOT of Derek. And trust me, I am not complaining.