chapter seven: diagonally

Rae woke up the next morning feeling refreshed and well rested, but couldn't place her finger on what exactly felt so odd. She knew something had happened the night before; she just couldn't remember what.

Shrugging her shoulders mentally and kicking the covers off of her legs, Rae got out of bed only to discover that she was still in her outfit from the previous day.

Strange. I always change into nightclothes. The only thing that could've possibly made me forget was if I was too tired to, and I very distinctly remember going to sleep rather early last-

Oh, no.

With a jolt, Rae suddenly remembered what had occurred only eight hours earlier. Draco and her had headed out on Meadow to the small hill he'd shown her earlier, they spent the night stargazing, and...he kissed her.

Or tried to, anyways. She'd run away before anything could happen. She knew she'd said she'd just hide it from Crouch, but it all seemed to have come flying at her how difficult that would be. And her main priority at the moment was following the path to becoming a death eater.

With a sigh, Rae got up and walked over to her trunk. She hadn't bothered to unpack a single thing; with Hogwarts just around the corner, she'd decided not to take on the extra work.

Soon enough, Rae found herself changed, showered, and ready for the day. She started towards the door, thinking she should probably eat some breakfast, when she realized Draco would most likely be there.

As the house elves cooked everything, and they liked to bring out everything at one time, breakfast was normally ready all at once and the entire family ate together. They'd eat thier food of choice and make small talk on occasion.

Rae waved away the thought of it possibly being awkward. She was Rae Selwyn. Nothing had happened and so there was no reason for her to feel awkward. Draco might, but she was sure she'd be fine.

Rae had told Draco about Barty's restrictions before he'd tried to kiss her. Surely he'd understand why she couldn't be with him.

Even with all of those reassuring thoughts running through her mind, Rae took her time descending through the levels of the manor. Something wanted to hold her back from going, but she kept on her way anyways. It would be best to pretend as though nothing happened in the first place than to make herself appear weak, seeming like she allowed love to control her life. She loved her father, yes, but love was a rather strong word. Rae didn't use it in the sense that she would risk everything for one person. Her personal reason for the mission was to be at the Dark Lord's side. Her father being freed was simply an added benefit. So she hadn't pushed Draco away in love of her father and a burning desire to rescue him - she had simply been saving herself from ruining her possibility of being a death eater.

Luckily, when Rae reached the dining room, Draco wasn't there. Unfortunately, Lucius was. He was reading the Daily Prophet and simply glanced up when she entered, before looking back down with a scowl. He always tried to come down early, most likely so he wouldn't have to eat with her around.

Rae cleared her throat. "Good morning, Lucius," she said. She knew he didn't like her calling him that; therefore, Rae took every chance she could to annoy him.

"Good morning," he muttered, not taking his eye off of his newspaper.

She rolled her eyes. Lucius was so rude. Knowing it would bother him, Rae began talking to him. "Anything interesting in there?"

Instead of appearing annoyed like she expected him to react, he smirked and slid the paper across the table. "Why don't you take a look? There are some rather entertaining stories in there," he fake smiled.