Chapter 9

Ames had had me practicing hand to hand combat and other fighting styles for about two hours. The heat of the day had started to settle in and even the shade from the tree couldn't protect us. There was sweat dripping down my face, neck, arms, and back.

I started to lift my arm to wipe the sweat from my forehead, when I noticed Leah walking towards us.

"You two have certainly been working hard."

"Yeah, Shorty here is actually doing pretty well," Ames laughed and leaned back against the tree. Is he always trying to look cool?

"If I wasn't melting I would crush you," I breathed.

A laugh bubbled up out of Leah and Ames shook as he laughed. I slumped onto the ground and laid on my back until they were done.

"Sorry, sorry. I came out here because we need to start trying to find Flor's animal." I jumped up off the ground and a gasp forced its way past my lips before my brain had even processed what she had said.

"Really?! How do we find out? Does it take long?" The questions and thoughts were spinning through my mind like a whirlwind.

"Again with all the questions," Ames groaned.

"Oh, stop complaining. At least she's excited about it now." Leah scolded Ames.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. So, to find your animal you have to focus on something that draws you in like the air, water, or trees. Imagine how it exists, think about the way it looks and changes."

My brain became a standstill at his words. I couldn't comprehend what he had said or what it meant. I just stared at him.

Leah reassuringly smiled at me, "How about you start by focusing on one element at a time. Start with air."

I nodded and retreated within myself. Images of a blue sky and white, fluffy clouds filling my head. I watched as the clouds darkened and the sky became black, rain started to fall, and flashes of lightning raced across my eyelids.  The scene changed again to a bright sunset with oranges, reds, and yellows blending in the sky. I didn't feel any different and opened my eyes to look at Leah and Ames. They looked back at me, seeming a little disappointed.

"Its fine if it doesn't work the first time. Now try water," Leah reassured me.

I closed my eyes again and took a long slow breath. This time I imagined a stream gurgling through a forest and over large rocks. Then, a long sandy beach with waves rolling against the sand and tide pools filled with clear water. Lastly, I imagined my high school pool, the starting blocks, long black lines, and the lane lines floating in the water. I remembered plunging through that pool during practice and races, laughing and splashing my friends, and finding myself in the cold water. With all of these thoughts, I could almost feel myself gliding through the water again.

I opened my eyes again and found myself to be very uncomfortable and closer to the ground. My skin felt very dry and it felt like I needed to have water poured over my head. Leah and Ames were towering above me and they both looked very surprised.

When I opened my mouth and tried to ask what had happened a loud chirping noise escaped me. My eyes widened in shock and I tried to talk again but only made more chirping noises.

"Congratulations! You're a dolphin!" Leah said as she bent down to my level. I could only chirp at her more.

Being a dolphin would explain the chirping and how dry my skin feels. It is cool and all but I'm ready to be human again.

"Great. To change back you have imagine yourself as a person again," Ames explained as he rolled his eyes at Leah's enthusiasm.

I closed my eyes again and visualized my hair pulled back into a ponytail and the hair was as frizzy and bushy as always. I wore sneakers, jeans, and a t-shirt like normal. I opened my eyes again and immediately noticed I was still lying on the ground and I had started to feel very nauseous. I pulled my knees up to my chest and pressed my face against my knees.

"Darn it! I forgot that you usually feel very sick after your first shape! I'm so sorry!" Leah's words came tumbling out of her mouth and assaulted my ears. I really just wanted to curl up in bed, but for now I would settle with curling up on the grass.

"I know you don't want to move right now but we should get you back to your cot. Come on, get up," Ames spoke softly, he must be used to helping newbies. I held out my hands and he pulled me up slowly. The three of us walked back towards the barn where I planned on staying until my stomach stopped trying to kill me.