Part 9

On Monday, Emma woke up in the middle of the night to the sounds of her crying baby. She slowly opened her eyelids in a groggy state and rubbed her eyes. Sitting up and stepping out of bed, she went to Henry's nursery and switched on the light. She approached his crib and picked him up, cradling Henry in her arms, trying to calm him.

She realized quickly that his cheeks were flushed and he was radiating heat. She felt his forehead with the back of her hand. He was burning up. She retrieved his thermometer and took his temperature, finding out it was 101. Emma gave him some baby tylenol and a lukewarm bath, meanwhile keeping him hydrated and continuing to check his temperature. She was tempted to take him to the hospital but the medicine seemed to help and his cries became softer as she continued to cradle him gently in her arms.

Hours had passed until he finally went to sleep. Emma called in to work, not wanting to chance taking him into daycare. After texting Mary Margaret to tell her she would not be bringing Henry in, she laid in bed with him laying on her chest. Feeling weary and exhausted, she closed her heavy eyes and fell to sleep.

Killian was pacing nervously in his office by the end of the work day. Emma hadn't shown up to drop Henry off at daycare and hadn't returned any of his calls. Had he done something wrong? Had he done too much, not enough? After they're amazing day together, he was only trying to be a gentleman that night, but maybe she took his actions to be offensive. Maybe he was overreacting or maybe something happened to her and Henry. And if so, wouldn't Mary Margaret have told him? Those were all of the thoughts running through his mind in a never-ending loop.

He wasn't really sure what to think. He was probably more worried than he should have been... okay maybe he was completely mad with worry, but he couldn't really help how much he cared for her. His heart was no longer under his control, he had given it to her completely. So, he did the only rational thing he could think of before he went to get Liam.

Leaving his office, he got in his car and drove to her place. He had only been there once, but remembered where it was. When he pulled up in front of her house and saw her car in the driveway, a wave of relief had swept over him, thinking she just had the day off and didn't tell him. Still, his stomach was in knots and he knew he wouldn't be able to rest his mind until he knew that she was okay... that they were okay. He walked up to her doorstep and knocked, waiting patiently before she answered.

After what felt like an eternity, the door finally opened and Emma looked at him in awe. "Killian? Hi... what are you doing here?" she asked with a weak expression.

His eyes grew soft, his heart sinking in his chest when he saw her. She was holding Henry who was clutching tightly to her in only his diaper, his eyes closed and Emma looked pale, wearing pajamas and her hair was a mess. He immediately felt guilty for his poor reaction.

He scratched a spot behind his ear as he replied. "I'm sorry to stop by like this, love, but I was a bit worried. You haven't returned my calls and I just... I wanted to make sure you were alright."

She looked surprised at his words... shocked even, her voice raspy as she spoke. "Oh, I'm sorry, Killian. I didn't know that you called. Henry had a fever and kept me up all night and I turned my phone off so we could rest."

Killian ran his hand through his hair, nervously. He felt like an idiot, but there was apart of him that was still worried she didn't want this anymore. "Love, can we talk for a minute?"

Emma looked at him him obligingly. "Yeah, of course. Just let me put Henry in his crib and I'll be right back." She went into Henry's nursery while Killian sat down, trying to figure why he was so nervous. He was usually more confident, more sure of himself.