Chapter 5: didn't want to miss

It was an inset day. Well, I'm not sure if you can call it that but we all took it for one anyway. (This was a few months after the incidence with Gwen's dad outside of her house. We had started talking over Messenger most nights and I spoke to her almost as often as I would speak to Greg.) My school had been shut for the day because the police had been in and found some reason to make us stay out of the building and away from the premises- most likely the faked school reports or the unsanitary kitchen counters.

Didn't bother me of course, the school was practically falling apart anyway and I'm not talking about the building itself. The staff and students have either done something illegal or know someone who has. I swear I once saw a group of girls offering "lessons" in the toilets in return for cash and even worse a group of rough ones smoking weed with a few teachers who had originally came to escort them from the grounds. Somehow it was still magically described as a school. I myself haven't been included in anything illegal or mortally incorrect in case you were wondering.

Back to the point, any reason to have a day off from school was brilliant.

No wasting the day: I called up my best mate to see if he wanted to come over to play some games on the Xbox, remembering the last time we did this I realised I should ask a few others too. When I called Greg he asked about bringing Carl - who was with him at this time in the morning already, then I went on to invite the other squad members who of course were free to come. In total, five lads came over- it was odd. Usually, time off school or even just at breaks and lunch it would just be Greg and I (Carl might stop for a chat every now and again but even that was rare). The group were guys who we spoke to in lessons (class mates if you will) I assumed that hanging out with all of them would be more interesting than just having Greg over. After the last time I could only remember him eyeing up dogs.

***

Looking towards the clock I took a breath. The day had been immense. 4 rounds of some dance game and then we had a competition as we took sides of who we thought would get most points. Once bored of this and loaded like a druggy on sweets Carl mentioned it'd be best to move on. We went on to watch as Drew took his anger of losing out on virtual zombies who came to the camera snarling as if the character wasn't holding a gun to their faces. Stupid zombies. The lads eventually either got a lift home or left to go elsewhere for the remainder of the day.

Having been left alone for a least an hour I was now conscious of time. There was one thing that I didn't want to miss, Gwen. My Guinevere. Her school finished at 3 O'clock which was in just under half an hour which meant she'd soon be coming out of school, I could go surprise my friend and wait for her. We hadn't seen much of one another recently so maybe it'd be a nice surprise.

***

I had been there almost fifteen minutes, for once in my pathetic excuse of a life I wanted nothing more than to be early. Why?

Mobile apps helped ease the wait though.

Gawking up from my phone, I could just make out her figure as she came strutting from around the bend, followed by a flock of rowdy guys. Gwen was certainly turning heads, but she seemed so fazed by it. Almost as if she didn't know or didn't care. She certainly got my attention, especially today as she was in her natural habitat unaware of my presence. I stepped back and waited for her to get closer, I was stood in the gap of two houses lent against the wall but still in view from the path.

She hadn't seen me standing there! Stepping forward, I placed one hand on her shoulder and grabbed her closest hand with the other, I could hear her gasp as I clung to her hand.

She went to swing at me. "HEY! Hey!" I protested, catching the fist with the hand which had been on her shoulder. She lowered it with clear caution as she turned into me. I stepped closer, she smiled before foolishly trying to look mad at me, "I was going to hit you, you idiot! I didn't realise who you were," she breathed lightly with eyes sparkling.

I looked down at our hands, she hadn't moved her's and I hadn't moved mine. My hand was laid on top of her fingers like it was initially. I wasn't gripping her like when she first turned to me but my hand was still there. I looked back up at her. Pushing out her lips as she squared her eyes, "How come your not in-"

Grinning, "Uniform?" She nodded. I beamed as I stated, "Oh the school has supposedly got weed growing in it or something so they made us fully aware that we weren't allowed in school. The head tried to call it an inset day because it's already gone below special measures." I chimed pulling a not so real shocked face. The hint of relief of not having to go to school was probably beaming from me.

"And you decided to come see me?" Gwen was clearly surprised.

I had an itch on my face. I went to move my hand to it. The one I had on hers. As I felt her turn her fingers and clutch on mine...

I ignored the itch...

"Well of course," I said trying to sound rational, "I've gotten used to seeing you after school," I told her, trying so desperately to read her expression and understand if she really had just turned her hand just to hook them onto my fingers or if it'd just been a twitch and she was actually trying to get her hand away. I wouldn't take my eyes off of her face. Gwen's expression however was stone. Nothing was going to come of it.

I noticed her look to either side of the street, moving her hand away. For a moment I wanted to ask why. She brushed back her hair before looking at me again. "Yeah, I've gotten used to it too I guess". There was a hint of something in her voice which wasn't normally there but I was too fixated on the empty space in my hand to figure it out.

I nervously laughed - way to make it weird Connor...

"Look," a sharp tone icing over her tongue, "I have a favour to ask you," she moved a space away from me. I threw my hands into my trouser pockets and lowered my face so that it was closer to hers. Meeting my gaze she announced, "So there's this party that I really wanna go to but I won't really know anyone who is going other than a few girls so maybe you and Greg want to come? You don't have to I completely understand if you don't want to! I'll have someone to speak to. She's just some girl from my English." Waiting for an answer I tried to comprehend what she just asked.

Teasing her I whispered, "You want to invite me to a party?" I slung my arm around her shoulder as we moved up the hill, she squirmed out of my reach and took out her phone – "Look you don't have to it's just I don't want to turn up alone or have to wait around for one of my other friends to turn up. Besides I haven't seen you in ages and I miss you." She left me to think about it as she clicked on the screen and started writing a text. Due to the height advantage I was able to peer over her shoulder and catch the brief idea of the text.

'Hey Rob, thanks for saying you'll take me. Girls forced me to ask him. That still okay? If not let me know ASAP"

I considered asking her about this guy but it wasn't as if I should feel threatened by him, she was my friend and she just invited me and a plus one. Should I feel jealous?

"So do you wanna come or not? It's tonight at 8, I'll probably go home at 10 but most will probably get drunk and not be able to go home till midnight." Her face held a gentle smile as she spoke.

Considering the thought, I said "Sure why not? So where is it?"

"It's up Ollymore Way. Just get to mine for 7:45 it takes 10 minutes in the car".

So there I was. An average guy on a not so regular inset day with my stunning friend being invited to a party and being allowed to bring a plus one. Well I couldn't complain. Maybe there would be some hot girls for me to flirt with? Hey, what am I kidding, I would have no idea how to but at least I'd have my wingman. Although to be honest I don't think I'd even do that to be truthful. I just don't quite understand something. Why did Guinevere want me to go to this party anyway?