Chapter 1: The fight

"Alexis Johnson, you get down here right now!" Mother yelled up for me.

I had been putting off dinner for about ten minutes now. "Hold on, mom!" I yelled. "Coming!" I closed my notebook with my horse drawings in it. As I ran out around the corner, I almost fell down the stairs about halfway.I could smell the dinner mom made, breakfast.

"Yay, my favorite dinner." I said trying to show that I was upset.

"But Honey, you love breakfast for dinner." she said, clearly she didn't catch my anger.

"Why isn't dad ever here?" I asked.

"Well he is still at work." She snarled.

"Actually,I think he is just trying to get away from you." I mumbled under my breath.

Apparently she heard me and so she yelled, "Me?! He wants to get away from me?! I think he wants to get away from you!"

I ran up into my room and slammed the door. I jumped onto my bed and cried into my pillow. I was so upset I convinced myself I was going to run away. I drew a map and everything. I even started packing. Then I heard footsteps coming towards my room. So I quickly shoved my backpack under the bed. Then I realized it was mom. She looked at me with her worried, I'm sorry, "mom" eyes.

"Honey, I am sorry. I'm just so stressed right now." She tried to make me feel better, but it didn't work. But I faked it.

"Mom, n- nevermind." I muttered.

"What Honey?" then she saw the map.

I thought to myself, "oh god, I forgot to hide the map." And then on top of it I labeled it.

" You were going to run away? Just because of what I said?" She said in that "mommy" voice.

"Yea." I said embarrassed.

"Well good cause I don't want her to take up anymore money or space." She said in a soft whisper.

"What?" I could clearly hear her, but I wanted to see if she would say it to my face.

"Nothing dear." Again in that stupid "mommy" voice.

Then I heard a door slam.

"I'm home!" Dad yelled from the front door.

"Dad!"I screammed from upstairs and raced around the corner almost falling again."Yay! You're home! I missed you so much!"

"What's this all about kiddo?" Dad said in a chuckle.

"Lexi, why don't you just go up to your room so me and your father can talk."Mom said in her "mommy" voice.

"Fine." I snarled.Then I sneeked down the staircase and hid around the corner.

"Umm, honey, what is going on?" Dad said like he had a "mommy" voice too.

"Bob, I just don't know what to do," Mom continued, "she tried to run away." She started crying know.

"Just let it go. She is here, isn't she?" Dad said.

"Yeah, I'm beat. I'm going to bed. Goodnight." She said in her "mommy" voice.

I raced up the stairs as quietly as I could. Then I layed in my bed and before I knew it, I was a sleep.