I'm Straight

*this is a school au, i guess. based on my life except i've actually decided that i'm  straight af. enjoy!*

SCOTT'S POV

   Everyday for the past five years of my life, I have always told everyone that I'm straight. But even though I believe in this statement, thoughts start to run in my head. Even though I kept declaring my straight self to the world, I couldn't erase the thought that I could be gay. That's when I met my best friend, Mitch Grassi.

   Mitch and I met in eight grade. He was a new student in my school, and how we got along was because of a ton of sex jokes, our love for music, and our interest to explore a ton of things about ourselves. As we grow older and become wiser, we started opening our real selves and accepting one another with whatever flaws we have. In 10th Grade, Mitch actually told me that he was gay after some reflection time during our lunch break. I started reflecting on myself as well, and decided to go to the image of me being straight.

   Since then, the thought of Mitch and I in a relationship always pop up when I don't need it. It's not just, Mitch though. I see myself getting attracted with other guys as well. Like that one basketball player in our school, Alexander Kirk... Okay maybe, not just him. I'm eyeing most guys in the basketball team.

But mostly on Mitch.

  We're always together. School activities, studying in hallways, hangouts, break times, school breaks, in every event you could think of! In junior prom, he was my partner and that didn't bother anyone since they all know that we're openly flirty with each other even if we're just best friends. But for the Senior year, I feel like me and him are tearing apart. We still hangout, we're still best friends, but most of the time, Mitch is with other people. It's not like how it was before...

Or maybe I'm just jealous because he's with his other guy friends and there's me. Still contemplating on my sexuality.

But why am I jealous? What should I be jealous for? He's just... my best... friend.

Maybe, I don't see him as a best friend. Maybe, I'm just really jealous because others get to spend time with one of the most precious people in my life. Maybe, I want to see Mitch all of the time because he's so beautiful, and every single story that he tells me wouldn't go into waste when I hear it. Maybe, I want to share secrets with him all the time because I feel like I've achieved my goal to gain his trust for future events and stories. Maybe, I really like Mitch's company. Maybe, I really like Mitch. Maybe, I'm falling in love with Mitch.

Maybe, I am not straight...

I really like my best friend. I am not straight.

I'm gay.

I'm gay and the thought of it doesn't disturb me anymore.

"Hey Scott," his wonderful voice uttered.

  With that, I was set back to reality that we're in the bleachers eating ice cream while studying for Calculus. I straightened up my position and looked at the book that was sitting on my lap. Then, I looked at Mitch, who looked at me in the eyes. 

"Scott, you know that you could talk to me about anything that bothers you. I'm your best friend."

"Mitch, I-I think I'm-uh-yeah."

"Scott, just tell me. Who knows? It might not be that-"

"I'm gay."

"But you always said-"

"F*ck what I said for the past five years of my life... I'm... gay." I said as I looked down, and tried to look at Mitch in the eye, even if tears were starting to fill my eyes.

At this moment, Mitch covered his mouth and tears started running down his face. Then, there was a moment of silence before he starts pulling me in for a hug. As soon as he hugged me like he was never letting me go, I started bursting into tears of joy for finally admitting it to someone. 

"I'm gay." I told Mitch one more time. This time, he was nodding and I could feel the smile on my face while he's hugging me.

"H-how? I mean, oh my God! I'm so proud of you and I feel so honored for telling me that. Oh my God, Scott! I'm so f*cking happy for you!"

I sniffed one more time before, I pulled myself out of the hug. Should I tell him as well? 

"For the past years, I've kept myself in, believing that I like girls. But, I guess I don't notice the little things. I am attracted to guys. I know I'm attracted to guys, but it was just lately when I finally realized that. Also, I've been eyeing on someone for some time now." I told him as soon as I calmed down from crying.

"Oooh! Spill some beans, Daddy. Mama wants to hear your secrets." Mitch said sassily even though his eyes still had evidence from crying. "I mean, unless you're not ready to tell me-"

"I've been talking to him nearly every day. He has a best friend who is crazy about him and I wish he could see that the boy that I like was right in front of me."

a/n: hello hey! i hope you enjoyed that. the last line was inspired from 5sos' song called "I've Got A Friend" and yeah yay! i just got inspired to write a oneshot for some reason. see you all again soon if an idea pops into my mind.

also disclaimer, i have no idea how it is to come out but all i can say is, people in the lgbtq+ community are so amazing for being themselves. love who you love, be with who you would want to be with, and enjoy living!