Chapter 20

I remember the day I met Christopher clearly. The first day the Basteon kids came to my country.

I walked through the hallways of school. Rose and Star walked right beside me. We hurried to the center of the school, the headmaster told us he would make an announcement. I already know what it is though. Rose and Star sat down on some chairs, while I walked to the front. Yeah, with me being the princess and all. I stood next to the headmaster as the sound of footsteps filled the room. That's when I saw them. The children from Basteon. My father told me they would come here, since they had an accident where their school burnt down. Poor kids. I straightened up a little as I saw the guy in the front. He must be the prince. He walked up the 'stage' as the others stayed at the bottom of the stairs. His brown hair fell down covering his eyes a little. Just by his looks, his walk, his smug smirk, I could already see he was trouble. The prince first shook the headmaster's hand; 'Hello, I am Christopher Le Basteon von Steal. Crown prince from Basteon. Thank you very much for allowing us to enter your beautiful school until ours is repaired.' He spoke in a low voice. 'You're very welcome prince. We are honored that you chose to attend our school .' 'Please, call me Christopher.' The boy smiled. Oh his smile, I was mesmerized. 'Very well.' The headmaster said as he bowed his head a little. That's when Christopher turned to me, flashing me a bright smile. I think I just died and went to heaven. He took my right hand in his left, bowed a little and planted a soft kiss on my knuckles, his beautiful blue -with a little grey- eyes not once leaving my purple ones. I knew for sure that my cheeks were a bright pink color, matching my dress. Christopher straightened up and let go of my hand, smiling at me sweetly; 'Hey.' 'Hey.' I breathed, but snapped out of my daze soon; 'Welcome to Chesaré. I am Louise Chesaré Bellarosa.' The right corner of Christopher's mouth tugged up; 'Christopher Le Basteon von Steal. Nice to meet you.' 'Nice meeting you too.' I answered smiling. 'Have a nice time staying here, and please do tell me if there are problems.' I said politely, remembering what my mother taught me last night. She could be proud. Although she probably wasn't. 'I will. And thank you once again.' Christopher answered. 'Please follow me.' The headmaster said, making us both look at him. Christopher nodded and followed the headmaster for further explanations. The Basteon kids followed Christopher closely, and I walked down to catch up with Star and Rose. I now noticed all female eyes glued to the spot where Christopher just left. 'Oh my god, you're like, so lucky!' Amber squealed. I frowned, not knowing what she meant. 'He kissed your hand!' She explained on a 'duh' tone. Every female on this school was swooning over Christopher. I wouldn't be like all those other girls. Christopher's relationship with me was pure professional. He is the prince of the second strongest country, our neighboring country, and I was the princess of the strongest country. Besides, the moment he walked in, I knew that boy was nothing but trouble.

And just like all those other girls, I fell for Christopher. And I fell hard. Now that I think about it... Did Christopher ever really like me? An image from the time we had the play flashed through my mind. Tony storming away afterwards, Roy coming after him. It was because of Christopher wasn't it? Why did he want me back the first time? Because I started wearing shorter skirts? Why did he ask me out in the first place? Did his father tell him to do so, so we could join our countries? I think the answer to all these questions is 'yes'. I should've known we wouldn't last. I began loving him less every single day. I should've noticed it by the way his cockiness began to irritate me more and more. I first really liked it about it, now it's one of the many ugly things about him. Even his light eyes, which always looked so blue to me, now looked so much more grey. I thought of all the times I thought he looked at me lovingly, but now I realized it was hollow. It was never real. Not for him.
All the memories came flooding back as I watched all of the Basteon kids get in cars and such, ready to leave. Christopher came to me, and I straightened myself, wanting to look as professional as possible. 'Thank you for letting us stay until the school was finished. It was a pleasure being here.' Christopher spoke in a professional tone. 'The pleasure's all mine.' I smiled slightly. Christopher's look softened a little. I guess he also noticed I said 'pleasure's' instead of 'pleasure is' like I would've said when he first came here. A lot has changed since that day. 'I'm sorry we have to part like this. It's not too late you know, we could give it another try.' Christopher now whispered. I shook my head with a small smile; 'No Christopher. We can't. All I can offer you is friendship and an alliance.' Immediately, Christopher's smile faded and he slowly nodded. 'Fine. But remember,' he started as he walked backwards, towards his ride home; 'you'll never find someone like me.' I gave him a sad smile; 'That is the point.'