Sweet Sixteen: Part. 39

Josh started to sway above me.

He thrust his legs out and hurled them back in, like a kid on a playground swing.

His momentum picked up until he was swinging from one end of the stage to the other.

Such was the force of his swing that he began to lower and as he neared the stage floor I heard a ripping sound, followed by Josh's clattering biker boot steps on the wooden floor.

He grabbed the great pendulum of a hook, which had hoisted him into the rafters, "The bike leathers saved me," he said, halting the hooks swing.

He looked at me, a confident glint in his eye, "They actually think I'm Jesus of South London," he said, rushing towards me.

Desperate to be released from the cuffs, I raised my arms behind me, "Try and get these off me, I feel so trapped," I pleaded.

He grabbed Granny Grace's walking stick, which I'd dropped when the man had grabbed me from behind and cuffed me.

Without explanation he began to turn the ornate crystal knob, it took all his strength, but eventually it gave way and he began to furiously un-wind it. Eventually, he pulled the knob, revealing a jangling set of key like objects.

###

It was with a rising anxiety that Josh fiddled with the various implements, inserting and twisting them into my cuffs.

A big ball of sweat swamped my head with every failed attempt. "Keep still, B!" Exclaimed Josh, as I continually jolted and jumped at the sight of a moving shadow from the depths of the stage.

"Hurry up!" I pleaded, impatiently.

"Relax – you ain't helping me," he said, twiddling another implement into the cuffs.

I huffed, "Relax – you're having a laugh, you saw what I did to that guy, I'm not sure if I can repeat that skill when he wakes," I said, looking at the man, still sprawled on the floor.

Josh chuckled, "That was so impressive." He said, yanking the cuffs, but they remained cuffed, "Anyways, I think you killed him," he said, with a blasé tone.

"WHAT!" No way," I said, suddenly panicked by the thought that I could have actually killed someone.

And then my panic rose, when I realized that these people were definitely in the 'eye for an eye' type of business – "Please Josh, hurry up!" I repeated.

Then the steady tap, tap, tap of approaching footfall, coming from the darkness somewhere behind us heightened my sense of foreboding.

I could feel a clammy sweatiness on Josh hands, indicating he was equally panicked.

He dropped to his knees twisting and tugging.

The footsteps grew louder.

I saw the shadow of a robed figure across the floor.