Kisses and Tears

It seems that all my days revolve around Connor, and I wasn't a fan of it. I didn't want to be dependent on him. I didn't want to be in that kind of love that made me crazy if we ever stopped being friends. I didn't trust myself to stay sane around him. I didn't want to trust myself either.

The school days roll around again, and there Connor was across the algebra classroom. He blew me kisses every time we made eye contact, and every time he did my cheeks heated up with happiness. There was nothing in the world that worried me, except for the other girls in the room. They either glared at me with jealousy, that the most attractive guy in the school was staring at me, or with anger that I was with the "freak" of the school. Either way, it was terrifying, but I promised myself to protect Connor in whatever situation we came face to face with.

He walked me to my next class. I wanted to hold his hand, but he hid his hands away from me in his pockets. I pulled one out and entwined our fingers. His entire arm stiffened, and I assured him that I could handle the name calling, and that I would defend him if people came after him.

"What a couple of freaks," the girl from lunch said. Connor knew her name. It was Maddie. Maddie pointed at the both of us and laughed. Every time she did that it sparked a special kind of anger in me. An anger that screamed "Don't mess with what's mine." Connor wasn't mine though, so I didn't understand why I felt this way.

"Look, Maddie, just leave us alone," I tried to negotiate with her, but she wouldn't have it.

"You're lucky I don't tell my dad that you exist, Connor. Your lights would be out faster than you could believe."

"Why do you have to be such a bitch to him? What did he do?"

"You haven't told her yet?" she started. "He was in-"

"Maddie!" Connor yelled. "Don't!"

She raised an eyebrow, and the corner of her mouth curled into a shifty smile.

"Asshole," I whispered under my breath.

The tension in the hallway could be cut with a knife. My adrenaline was pumping. My heart beat angrily. I couldn't describe how I felt. All I knew is that I wanted Connor to be comfortable in school. I wanted him to walk as confidently as I knew he could, whether I was holding his hand or not.

"What did you call me?" Maddie demanded. She took a step toward me, and Connor brought me back behind him. "You really think you can protect her? You?" She pressed herself against him. 'Take me on, Connor."

My blood boiled to the temperature of lava. I came out from behind Connor, and slammed my sneaker on her foot. She was wearing sandals. It took everything in me not to jab her in the face, but having Connor by my side... it gave me a sense of security. He loved me, and I was secure in knowing that.

"Back the hell off, bitch!" The principal came running out after seeing Maddie on the floor crying. I had broken off some of her toenails, and the toe ring she was wearing cut into her skin.

"Language! Miss Beckett. What is wrong with you? Go to my office! Someone help the injured."

-

Connor refused to leave my side. They threatened to suspend him too, but there were no grounds for it. Instead I was getting suspended. Which was both fine with me and was terrifying to me. I didn't want Connor to be alone at school.

My mother was furious with me. So furious that she wouldn't even listen to my explanation until later that night. I told her I was defending Connor, and that I was so in love that I would've taken the bullet that Maddie would've shot had she shotten it. She already knew that though. I wasn't grounded. I was allowed to see Connor if I wished. I did.

He came over after school. He ran to me and wrapped his arms around me. It felt good to be with him again. He looked me in the eyes and I was lost in the evergreen forests eyes he had. I sighed.

"I'll come by everyday to see you, okay?" He said. "It's only 3 days, but it already feels like 3 years." I nodded.

He kissed me gently. "I love you, Dakota. Stay strong."