The Drive Home

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked with my arms folded across my chest.

"He asked me not to."

"When did he tell you?"

"He didn't. I asked him that night that he helped wash the dishes."

"I don't know what to say."

"Well. Do you still love him?" My mother asked me. I looked at her with a face full of anger. How dare she ask.

"More than anything. I don't care that he's a transboy. I've met some before. I'm mad that you knew and didn't tell me."

"Well, honey! It was his secret." She whined. "He told me what would happen if you knew. You would've been in the hospital right next to him."

"Mom, I could've taken care of myself. I could've protected him! It's my fault that he's hurt."

We pulled into the driveway and I ran with my mother's phone to my room. Connor said that in the fight the man had broken his phone on the concrete. I left my phone with him so I coukd call him to check on him.

"Connor?" I said after he picked up. I heard him grunt. It took a lot of energy for him to speak, so I didn't let him. "Don't say anything. Okay? Just listen. I'm sorry I ran out on you. I'm sorry that this happened to you, and I'm sorry you didn't think you coukd trust me. You can. I love you, Connor. I love you so much, regardless of what you have between your legs. It's who you are and what you've shown me that I've fallen in lovebwith, and I don't want to lose you over something like this. Please stay strong."

"I love you," he said between gasps for air. I heard clicking and a crash. It sounded like he had dropped the phone if I had to guess. I assumed he'd fallen asleep or it slipped out of his hand.

"I love you, Connor!" I shouted loudly hoping he'd hear me. On the other end I heard beeping and feet shuffling and people's voices. I didn't have an explanation for that, but then he hung up on me and I let it be. What a mistake.

-

The next day people stared at me. They glared at me. They just loved to look at me. I didn't understand why. Did they all know what happened to Connor? They knew that it must've been affecting me.

"Heard about your boyfriend," Maddie said with pain in her eyes. "I didn't mean for it to go this far." I looked her dead in the eyes and kept walking.

The news crew was outside. The headline: "Transgender Boy Dies After Being Brutally Beaten."

"No," I whispered. I ran. I ran and I ran until I couldn't run anymore. I ran out of the school, passed my house, out my neighborhood, to the hospital. I rushed inside asking for Connor Wayne Sampson. The boy who loved life more than anything. The boy who could change a person's view on something as simple as a rock with just a few words. The boy who hated vegetables but loves fruits. The boy who I loved more than I loved anyone in my 16 years.

I got the same answer from the hospital, though. That was that Connor was gone.