Chapter Four

"Aren't you excited, Alfred? A whole new adventure, a whole new place for us to explore! Just think of what we could get up to!" Newt squealed excitedly as the train rattled along the rails.

"Hold on there, Newt. We?"

"Yes, of course." Newt frowned. "You're my best friend, of course you're coming with me and helping me with my experiments."

Alfred frowned uncertainly back at his friend, holding his notebook tightly to his chest in which he had drawn several drawings of fantastical beasts. He put it on his knees for a second and then handed it over to Newt.

"Every time we went out exploring, we would always do a few observational drawings of the beautiful animals. Last week, I was flicking through them and thinking 'this is silly'. Newt, honestly. Do you think we're ever going to find the most dangerous and the most fantastic beast?" Alfred said disbelievingly.

"Not unless we try, Al." Newt said, pushing the notebook back over to his friend sitting opposite him. "I have known you for years and not once have I denied the fact that you love chasing creatures."

"I do not!"

"Deny it all you want, my friend, but I have seen the look on your face when you find one. You love the feeling of chasing after a creature, the pumping of adrenaline consuming you." Newt smiled. "Admit it."

"I'm not admitting anything, Newt!"

"But you do love it, the look on your face says it all."

"What look?"

"That smile, the lights flickering in your eyes—"

"No lights flicker in my eyes!"

"You sure about that?"

"I don't have a 'we found a dangerous creature' look. I think you may have been looking in the mirror. When we spot a creature, you practically wet yourself!" Al laughed.

"Hey! I'm not that excited, I'm laid back when we see one. We take down the information and then we leave."

"Sure..."

"I'm not lying!"

"And neither am I." Alfred winked.