I think I just died a little

My eyes flew open and I jolted upwards, my breathing was laboured and if I had a pulse, I suspected it to be racing. In my panic, my eyes darted around the room, making sure no unwanted visitors lurked in the dark crevices. With a small sigh, I calmed myself down, it was something I was good at.

I crawled out from under my warm covers and I wandered over to the window, exhausted from my lack of sleep. "Funny, I'd think I'd be used to how complex this system is." I muttered to myself. The Manor was such an intricately made realm that I couldn't help but praise Marte for her hard work.

The moon was beginning to fall from its place in the sky as it made room for the sun, the first rays of dawn painting the sky purple and orange mixed in with red. It was something I cherished as a resident here in the manor. I silently thanked Decim for letting me stay within the manor's walls.

Usually my anxiety from the dream would melt away with the night, but today was different, I was still restless.

Moving away from the beautiful scene, I set about getting my clothes ready for another day of work. Yanking out my underwear, pulling out a black pencil skirt and white blouse, I yawned and stretched out my arms, running a hand through my tousled hair. I grabbed my black blazer with red handkerchief and my black stockings, slipped on my deep red heels and went over to the mirror to inspect my outfit before I applied make-up.

I had tattoos that were now obscured under my clothing, they were white ink that stood out against my olive skin tone. They wound up my arms and spilt across my shoulders and chest. Around my ankles were hidden as well.

I grasped at my brush and tugged it through my choppily cut hair, altogether it stopped to just past my chin and was dark blue-black in colour. My side fringe hung in my oddly coloured silver eyes. My silver eyes entailed I wasn't human, but due to my lack of memories, I was unsure of what species I belonged to.

Taking a seat at my vanity, I applied mascara, winged eye-liner and deep red lipstick to match my heels and handkerchief. I gave a little nod and stood, briskly walking to my dorm room door, only pausing to grab my bag and then proceeded to leave the room, a checking glance over my shoulder as I pulled the door shut.

I was confident and proud as I dodged Death Dealers who were there to receive punishments or orders. It was more the former than anything else. There were strict rules as a Death Dealer and none were to be broken, there were severe consequences.

Many nodded their respectful greetings, others who I vaguely remembered conversing with openly said hello as I passed. I had to make it to the Council room before nine o'clock, and luckily enough, there were ten minutes to go. I halted outside two heavy wooden doors, throwing them open, I politely smiled at the Council members seated above me in the balcony.

Where six should have been assembled, only two were present. It wasn't hard to spot Decim in his grim reaper get-up. He rose to a towering height and in an authoritative voice requested, "Good morning Leto, have you got the paperwork I asked for?" I dipped my head as I rummaged through my bag, my hands tightening around the documents before raising my gaze and then bowing slightly. "Of course, sir, I have the Morganstar documents. Shall I take them to the Dead Boys?" Decim was silent as he thought, it was slightly sinister. A smaller, more silken voice answered before Decim did, "Yes, please do, Miss Mors, it would be so kind of you to deliver them to the Dead Boys." Marte's figure spoke.

Her garments were of the purest white, a veil masking her features, her hair a beautiful silver, she looked no older than twelve, "That would be wonderful," Decim turned his shadowed face towards Marte, obviously surprised by her sudden voice.