3: People Change People

[In Maya's history class.]

"Belgium 1831," Maya says, beginning her lesson for the day.

"Yay," Lily happily exclaims.

"No," another person loudly retorts.

Brandon closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. "Danny, sit down before you embarrass yourself."

"We've been in your class for nearly a month, and all we've learned about is boring history stuff. When are we going start getting in trouble and having fun?" Danny asks, ignoring Brandon's request.

"I'm your history teacher, Danny. I don't know what you were expecting," Maya responds.

"I was expecting the Maya from the stories. The one who broke the rules and liked to have fun. What happened to her?"

"That was a long time ago, and I still have fun, just not in the same ways as I used to," she answers.

"Why did you even become a teacher in the first place?"

Maya smirks. "Are you sure that you're ready to know that answer?"

Danny furrows his eyebrows together. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Listen up everyone," Maya announces. "This is the most important lesson I'm ever going to teach you. People change people."

Danny quietly sits back down in his chair and starts listening to Maya.

"When I was your age I hated school. I got bad grades and I didn't see a point in going, besides the fact that my best friend was there. During my seventh grade year I got one of the best teachers in the world and he continued to be my teacher until I graduated high school."

"Mr. Matthews?" Brandon questions.

"Yeah, Matthews," Maya confirms.

"He's the one that told you to become a teacher?" Danny asks.

"No," Maya purses her lips, "but he did have a major influence on my decision. At the end of my freshman year of high school, I asked Matthews why he became a teacher. His answer was that his old teacher, Mr. Feeny, inspired him to become a teacher. Mr. Feeny heavily influenced his life for the better. He taught Matthews lessons, that Matthews then taught me. These lessons made me into a better person, the person that I am today. Feeny changed Matthews, and Matthew changed me. I thought it would only be right if I started teaching, so that I would have the chance to impact one of your lives as much as they impacted mine."

Everyone is silent for a minute, until Lily speaks up. "Even though we are your students and you are the teacher, is there a possibility that we could teach you something that changes you?"

"Huh, I never thought of that," Maya responds.

The classroom door squeaks open and everyone looks to see who it is.

"Hello, Mrs. Matthews-Hart-Hunter," the school's guidance counselor greets. "I'd like you to meet your newest student, Ayla."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: Sorry for another short chapter, but the next chapters should be longer, because the story has only just now begun...
Also I started a new Rilaya story called, "Last Chance" and would love it if you guys checked it out.
One last thing... I don't know how often and when I will be posting, but I'm trying to update as much as I can. Since school started I have been very busy and stressed, so I haven't been able to update as often as I used to. Hope you understand.