01

There was a gentle knock at my door. I knew it was Gabbie. She was taking me to the new girl's apartment, and she needed me to help her move some things with them. I haven't talked to this girl yet, and I don't even know her name. If she's one if Gabbie's close friends, she has to be someone way more important than me.
I heard the knock again and quickly hurried to my apartment door.
"Hey, Gabbie!" I said.
Gabbie smiled as I closed the door behind her. "Are you ready to go, hun?"
I nodded. "Just let me get my camera and put my shoes on."
She looked around. "It's really quiet. Where's Alex?"
"Oh, out with Zane and Heath playing basketball."
I went to the door and opened it, letting Gabbie leave first.
We got into her Buick, and I stared at it. It started to look worse. She really needed a new car.
I pulled my camera off from around my neck and turned it on. "For once I can say that your car looks worse than you."
She gasped. "Don't talk about my Buick like that!"
We both laughed, and I turned off my camera, putting it back over my neck.
"You did say you've talked to Liza before, right? Because that's who we are going to go help. She just moved here from Houston."
I lied. "Yes."
"Good," she replied.
"I'm happy to finally meet her. Heard she's cuter in person."
Now that I know who it is, my stomach knots up, and I feel nauseous. I've had this internet crush on her for so long, and I was always too scared to say hi.
"Yep. She's cute, you're average. She's funny, you're," she paused for a moment. "eh. She's-"
I cut her off. "I get it, asshole."
She chuckled. "Seriously though. You'll be fine. She's a sweetheart, baby."
"Unlike you."
Gabbie seemed to glare at me through the corner of her eye. "I will crash this car and make sure it mostly hurts you."
"How kind of you, Gabbie," I said sarcastically.
It was finally silent in the car. No music and no talking. It was a bit awkward, but it gave me a good environment to think in. It helped me think about what I'm going to do when I see her face? Will my knees lock up? Will my palms get all clammy? Will I choke when I tell her my name? Will I be able to pull this off? She's just so beautiful, and I can't mess this up.
"Gabbie, why did you ask me to tagalong?" I finally asked.
"Because Liza needs a big, strong man," she began to laugh. "Who am I kidding? I just know you're desperate for a girlfriend. You've been single longer than me. You can either impress her, or embarrass yourself. Whatever comes first."
I smiled. "I'll probably embarrass myself first."
We pulled up to her apartment complex, and Gabbie began to punch in the gate code. I was so nervous. I've never been this nervous when meeting a girl before.
"Gabbie," I said. "I think I should you this before we go, but I was lying earlier. I've never talked Liza."
Gabbie grunted. "Fuck, now I have to give Liza twenty dollars."
---
We got to Liza's apartment. The door read, "Apartment 312." Gabbie knocked right over the painted numbers.
I heard a small voice inside and tiny footsteps begin to inch closer. It felt like a horror movie. The doorknob began to jiggle, and I felt myself tensing up before Gabbie patted my back and stopped it.
The girls were hugging, and I was awkwardly standing behind Gabbie, waiting for them to finish.
I heard an unfamiliar voice say, "Join us, David. I promise that I don't bite. Gabbie might though."
I laughed and shook my head. I would implode if I were to hug Liza right now.
We went inside, and Liza quickly shut the door behind us. Her apartment already looked almost completely done, so I wondered why we were even here.
"David, Gabbie, want anything to drink?"
"Just a water, please," I replied.
Gabbie nodded, showing Liza that she wanted the same.
"Look, I have to go to the bathroom. You guys don't run off and start a new empire. At least not without me."
Gabbie left, leaving Liza and I alone.
I thought that it was going to be silent, but I was wrong.
Liza asked, "So, David, you're a viner, right?"
"Oh, yep. I started on YouTube too. I'm slowly rising, but I'm getting there."
Liza, seeming intrigued, asked, "Oh, that's so cool! Are your videos like Gabbie's? What do you do?"
I was surprised that she took so much interest in what I had to say about my career that wasn't even really taking off.
I answered, "No, I don't do what Gabbie does. I do vlogs, and I'm trying to come up with a good schedule for uploading. I really do enjoy it. It's so fun. I try to make my vlogs entertaining to my viewers. I try to put little sketches and stuff in them just so it isn't like that same old vlogs everyone sees."
Liza smiled so big, it was blinding. Her beauty took my by surprise, and I quickly forgot what I was going to ask her.
Gabbie came back from the bathroom in panic. "I have to go guys. I'm so sorry, David, but could you find an Uber home? This is an emergency."
I nodded. "Good luck, Gabbie."
"Oh, I'm sorry, honey! I hope everything is okay. I'll take David home."
Gabbie left me in the apartment with Liza. What am I going to do?