08

"I like you," I confessed. "It's crazy, I get it. We haven't known each other for long, but I really do like you. You make me so happy, and it makes me feel weird. If you don't like me, that's cool. I'll back off. I'm sorry if I made things awkward. I—"
   Liza grabbed my hands that were nervously placed on my thighs. The grip was gentle but secure. Her chocolate brown eyes looked into my eyes. She could see the fear in them as she studied my face in the few seconds of silence before she spoke.
   A sweet smile appeared on her face. "Awkward? All I am is awkward! Nothing would be different! I like you, David. There's no need to back off."
   Her hand was still on mine, and I could feel beads of sweat forming on my palms. Liza still didn't let go of my hand, but she instead used my hand to pull herself towards me. She knew that she was driving me crazy.
"Your sweaty hands are telling me how nervous you are. I feel like there are pools forming in our hands, but I don't want to let go," Liza smiled. "They're my hands to hold now."
   My face became flushed. She was right, my hands were hers. "So... Will you do me the honour of being my girlfriend?" I asked, feeling a lump form in my throat.
   Her smile was soft. She rubbed her thumb gently over my shaking hands. "Is that even a question?"
   I was happy. My heart was beating out of my chest. I swooped her up in my arms, holding her small body to my chest. She felt as if she was meant to be there, as if this is where she belonged. I buried my head into her curls as I held her off of the floor. She smelt of roses and strawberries, and it made my heart even more happy.
   She kissed my cheek before I set her down, but I decided that that wasn't enough. I grabbed her head in my hands and brought her face to mine. "I can do this whenever I want now," I whispered with a smirk forming on my face.
   My lips crashed into hers. I felt the softness and warmth they brought just like every other time. Just like I remembered them to feel. I could feel Liza's passion as she held the kiss. Our bodies close, her arms wrapped around my waist, my hands on her cheeks. We could stay like this forever.
   I pulled back, and both our faces were flushed. She was smiling, I was smiling. I never wanted this to end.
   "Now you're one of my boyfriends," Liza joked.
   I tilted my head in confusion. "One of them?"
   She giggled. "And so it begins!"
   Her goofiness was one of the many reasons I liked her. She could make anyone laugh with just one word. She was such a warm soul, and I couldn't wait to grow with her.