Chapter 2

Katniss's pov

I wake with a silent scream on my lips and images of Prim's dead body wafting through my brain.Stupid nightmares.

I climb out of bed and into the showers to wash off the cold sweat my body had worked up.I lean my head against the wall allowing the water to run its course and ease some of the tension out of my muscles.Then its time to leave.Time to face them again.I grudgingly get out and get dressed.Today we'll be going to the race cars and I'm determind to get Peeta and Gale to at least be civil with each other.Peeta won't put up much of a hassle,he hates fighting,but Gale,hes another story.

A plan forming in mind I head down stairs and the two of them are already there.They're sitting on either side of the table and they're alone.I look them both over for any signs of fighting and luckily there are none.

"Hi,"I say lamely.

"We need to talk,"Gale says flatly.

Oh boy.I take the seat diagonal to the two of them.

"You need to tell bread boy that-"

"Don't call him that,"I hiss at Gale.

This is the wrong move "Why not?!The Capitol has fallen the two of you don't need to be around each other any more!"Gale explodes.

"You don't own me Gale!Whats the big deal if I stay close to Peeta?"I demand.

"Because you're supposed to be with me!Everyone knows it!Even people from 13 know it!Don't you love me?"He yells.

I roll my eyes "Of course I love you!"

"Well then thats the decision,"Peeta says quietly as he heads to the door.

"Peeta,"I say softly and automatically follow after him.He doesn't stop.He has his hand on the door knob.He can't leave me."I love you as well!"I call after him.This makes him stop.I sigh in relief when he walks back into view.

"You just said that you love me,"Gale snarls.

I scowl at him "I love the two of you."I take a deep breath this part is either do or die."Thats why I want to stay friends with the both of you,"I give them a minute to process this.

Peeta is looking at me,analysising whats on my mind.Gale on the other hand has his eyes bulging out and staring horrorified at me.

"Friends?"He splutters.

I look over at him "Thats right.Its the only way to keep you both,"

"I'm not going anywhere,"Peeta says evenly.I turn to look at him and offer him a smile.Thats one.

"Fine.I'll be your friend as well,"Gale bites out.He now has his arms crossed tightly over his chest and a black look has taken over his features.

All the tension leaves and my body eases,my shoulders dropping from the freedom of no longer having to worry about losing either of them.

"Lets go to the race cars now!"Prim chirps as she runs down the stairs to us.Shes already dressed and she looks so happy.

I grin at her "Lead the way,"

So with Prim at the point of our line jumping and squealing as she goes.I fall behind with Peeta and Gale This should be good to try and get them to talk nicely to each other.How is it that I can get along brilliant with the two of them yet they can't even look at each other?Oh right,stubborness.

So I bring up the one thing they have in common,the peace era.

"Do you think all the other districts are living like this?Getting back to normal?"I ask the two of them.