Part 38 - The BIG Days

Background: 2005 (Age 38 years)

Real patients were the subjects for the exam. I did pretty well in the cases (history taking, physical exam, and treatment) i.e. a patient who presented with shortness of breath and another patient with a stroke and many other cases that I can't recall now, except the patient who presented with an undefined vague symptom of a fainting spell (pre-syncope). The 'bad cop examiner' appeared!

"What else's will you do?" he asked monotonously.

I repeated my management plan for the patient. The plan was quite comprehensive.

"I am asking what else," he repeated and sounded a bit annoyed by my ignorance.

I looked at him and the other examiner who was a moderator in the exam. The moderator remained in silence without a prejudicial expression, while the 'bad cop' knitted his eyebrows.

The time for the OSCE exam was nearly over. In the last few seconds, I answered, "A 24-hour Holter monitor is indicated for the patient."

I expected a nod or some sort of acknowledgement to my answer. The moderator smiled. Time was up. The 'bad cop' packed his marking sheets and things. I left the exam room a bit disappointed.

A few weeks later, I received my examination results. Phew! I passed the exams! I believe that someone could play the role of a 'bad cop' to check how well a student can manage a stressful situation. 

Having passed all clinical rotations, formative & summative assessments, and the final written & OSCE examinations, I qualified for the Medical Degree (MBBS, Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) awarded by the University of Queensland.

My mother (Ah Ma) was 76 years old and she was frail to fly to attend my graduation convocation in Australia. I received the Medical Degree in the presence of my dear friends (Fabian, Eunice, Yaw and many others). That moment was joyous!

I flew back to Malaysia to celebrate the event with my family in a gathering. My siblings and their spouses and children were all attending the big family gathering. I gave an informal speech titled "Doctor - a zigzag journey"; the ups and downs in the journey were accompanied by laughter and tears; I ended the speech with the following:

"Ah Ma, thank you for your love and support throughout my life. You deserve this award," I said appreciatively and handed my medical degree plaque to her. My 76-year old loving mother who had given me unconditional love received the plaque in tears of joy. The freckles and wrinkles of her arthritic hands were also part of the witnesses to this joyful moment.

=========

Notable quote:

"The Pessimist Sees Difficulty In Every Opportunity. The Optimist Sees Opportunity In Every Difficulty." – Winston Churchill