Part 2 - I, "director" in my life

What else I had attempted before embarking on the journey to study medicine? Besides modelling, I attempted acting. Why? 

I was in my late twenties, I wished to challenge myself to step out of my comfort zone and explore one of my childhood hobbies - acting. 

In mid-1990s, Television Corporation Singapore (TCS) advertised a free "evening acting course" for people who had an interest in acting. I turned up. The class was taught by an experienced actress. I forgot her name. There were eight participants. The very first activity was to learn how to relax every single muscle in our body especially the face which is one of the most important anatomies in front of a camera. The relaxation session was excellent after a day of exhaustive work as an engineer in an electronic company. Breathing is an innate act which can be regulated and facilitated by external influence such as relaxation techniques. A well controlled and paced breathing relaxes oneself.

Then, the trainer role-played a few emotional expressions such as happy, sad, relax, worry, manic, depressed, paranoid, and angry. She was really good. How good was she? She could switch her emotional expression from being happy to angry within a second.

"I want you guys to shut up!" her eyes scanned the classroom as she yelled at the top of her lungs. The power of her words and the tone of her voice elicited fear pierced deep into my heart.

Then, we worked in teams to role play our given characters which I forgot after twenty years. One important fact that I still remember is "no production can excel without teamwork". This belief is deep-rooted in me, and it benefits my future career.

Most of the participants hoped to get an opportunity to appear on television. I was uncertain how many of them got an offer. Finally, I received a phone call asking me to go for an audition for a small role in a sitcom (a situation comedy) titled "Under One Roof" which was the first locally produced English-language sitcom in Singapore. The show was originally aired from 1995 to 2003. It won the "Best Comedy Programme or Series Award" at the Asian Television Awards in both 1996 and 1997, the best comedy actor award (Moses Lim in 1996), and three best comedy actress awards (Koh Chieng Mun in 1996, Norleena Salim in 1997 and Vernetta Lopez in 2000).

I was thrilled having a chance to work with experienced actors and actress for three scenes in an episode of Under One Roof. There were lines to memorize; the film director was stringent about following the original words in the manuscript. We were lucky to get through in two takes for each of my scenes. Teamwork and right chemistry of people playing the roles are key. The photographs in this chapter reserve my memory of the experience.

My final "acting" experience was shooting for a poster. In a nutshell, besides learning the importance of teamwork, I learned how to follow instructions of the director. The most difficult task for me was to change my emotion and expression under a directed circumstance. I knew that it was not my strength. I was not qualified to be an actor. I salute all artists who perform well in their careers. They must have an "acting gene" and passion deep inside them. At this juncture, I chose to move on in my life and career and chose to be my own "director" in my life. What was next?