Chapter Eight: A crew worth it's salt

Maria's POV:

When I stared at the crew before me I was taken back as I stared at the scraggly men. They were the best Gibbs could gather and for that I was grateful. "Feast your eyes, Captain. All of them, faithful hands before the mast, every man worth his salt. And crazy to boot," Gibbs said. I didn't pay much attention until I heard a slap. I looked down the row and saw Jack holding his cheek. "You stole my boat!" The black woman yelled. "Actually...," Jack was interrupted by another slap from her. "Borrowed, borrowed without permission. But with every intention of bringing it back to you."

After that we boarded. As night dawned a terrible stormed brewed. Waves threw the crew around the deck all while Jack crazily manned the helm. I held the ropes when a wave knocked me off my feet. I felt Gibbs grab the back of my black soaking shirt and haul me to my feet. "What's going through his head?" I shouted. "He says we are catching up, but I doubt we are!" He answered. I didn't bother to ask anymore because I could tell he didn't have an answer. By the morning the storm had passed.

Some crew rested while others stayed on deck. I noticed Jack stood at the helm. He had been standing there most of the voyage. By the time the sun set the crew had all gone below deck. I lay in my bunk listening to snoring. I could no longer stand it. I jumped out the hammock and went above deck. I don't know how they did it but all of them were standing all that noise. When the sea air hit my nose I had to take acouple of small breaths to take it all in.

Jack's POV:

I stood at the helm the entire voyage trying to find a way to make the ship move faster. I decided to relax since it didn't help any that I was worrying about catching up to them. Suddenly out of the corner of my eye I caught sight of something in black. I turned to see Maria walking from below deck. "You left them faster than I expected," I shouted. She turned quickly to see me. She scowled. She still hated me for what happened in Tortuga.

I walked down and met her. "I didn't mean you any disrespect back in Tortuga love," I said. She just smirked some. I saw at her hip a sword. "You know how to use that thing?" I asked.

She looked to her sword. "Not really," She replied.

"Oh yes I remember now. When we fought back in Port Royal I knocked you on your ass," I laughed.

Her face turned bright red. "Come now love just having a bit of fun," I said.

I walked from in front of her to behind her and kicked her ass with my boot. She yelped and turned around quickly. I laughed.

She glared at me. She drew her sword and lunged at me. I did the same. I stepped out of her way and smacked her ass with the flat of my blade. She growled. She began a blow over the head and I stopped it with a crashing blow. I smirked at her. "Lesson number one love always keep your balance," I said. She looked at me curious. I twisted the sword making her twist around. She dropped the sword and fell into me arms. She looked up at me. "Falling for me already are we?" I said trying to charm her.

"Only in your dreams Sparrow," She said. She stood up again only to fall into me arms again when she lost her balance from the rocking ship. "You don't travel by sea much do you lass?" I said. "Not much," She replied. I looked at her for a moment. I let her up.

Maria's POV:

I felt nervous with Jack staring at me. I didn't know whether I enjoyed it or hated it. I felt a wisp of hair flutter in the sea breeze. I reached up to grab it but Jack beat me to it. I felt his fingers brush against my face as he pulled his hand back. My cheek tingled at his touch. Suddenly when I realized I was blushing I quickly walked past him. "Maria, if you don't wish to sleep down there with them you may have me cabins," Jack offered. The choice was obvious. I really didn't want to get back down there with those growling mutts so I took him up on that offer.