Chapter 3

I've gotten more accustomed to school as usual; it only takes me a few hours to adjust to the noise and faces moving around me in the halls.

I'm only going for half a day today, the councillor talked to the principal and gave me permission to, and Sarah as well.

Sarah strides towards me with a small girl wearing shredded black jeans, a tight, low-cut black band crop top, and black leather boots. The girl has several facial piercings and her hair is black at the roots, fading out to a dark turquoise near the bottom. Her hair barely reaches her shoulders. I can also see a black design inked into the side of her neck.

I always wonder why Sarah chooses to hang out with punks like this girl and Louis.

Is it a sign of rebellion? Just doing it to show how rebellious she is to everyone? I'll never know what's going on inside that blonde head of hers.

"Hey." The girl rasps and I nearly jump at her husky voice.

"H.. Hi." I smile weakly at her and she smirks back with her glossy crimson lips.

"Tori, this is Emily. She's my friend from music class." I almost forget for a second that Sarah took music.

"Hey, Tori, what's up with Todd?" Emily asks bluntly. I narrow my eyes at her.

"I don't know." I say quietly, avoiding her probing gaze.

"Cause, y'know, he's always asking the jocks and cheerleaders about you." She says, smirking.

"Well he can go fuck himself." I spit, anger surging through my veins once more. Emily grasps Sarah's shoulder gently, keeling over in a fit of laughter.

"I like you, Tori." Emily giggles and regains balance. I look up at her and smile.

"So, what kind of music do you like?" Emily asks, smiling teasingly.

I like Emily.

She doesn't like Todd, and that's good enough for me.

I explain how I like calming, acoustic music and she almost wrinkles her nose.

"I like music that gets me high on adrenaline." She whispers, pursing her lips.

"Like, The Killers, Motorhead, Coldplay sometimes, Iron Maiden, Iron Butterfly, Sex Pistols, and anything punk or classic rock." Emily mumbles and another tattooed girl with black hair approaches her.

"C'mon, babe." The girl says in a smooth, soft voice, trailing her hand up and down Emily's arm. Emily smirks and gently takes the girl's chin in her hands, kissing her passionately. Sarah and I exchange an uncomfortable stare as they walk away.

"See ya, Sarah! And nice meeting you, Tori!" Emily calls, giggling as the girl wraps an arm around her waist. Sarah smiles apologetically at me.

"You're not..." I trail off, jerking my thumb back towards where Emily is walking down the hall. Sarah laughs and shakes her head, tearing up with laughter. Her face is really red.

"No! Not at all!" She laughs. I smirk and nod.

"Okay." We begin to make our way to class but suddenly my breath hitches my throat.

It's Todd, standing right in front of our class.

He's smiling and chatting with Kate, who Sarah grimaces at.

"H.. Hey..." Sarah breathes shakily at Todd, avoiding his gaze. My eyes focus steadily on the floor.

"Hey, Sarah!" Kate mocks, smirking at Sarah. I grit my teeth and glare angrily at Kate. Kate giggles as she notices my gaze.