2.

1 WEEK AGO

- "Can I talk to you honey" my mum's  head appears in the doorway of my room.

- "Sure what's up?" I say but I don't look up from my laptop.
She comes and sits beside me on my bed and sits in silence for a bit like she is trying to tell me something difficult. I look up now.

- "The young man I told you about the other day"
- "Mhm," The guy that escaped from somewhere and strangely made it here to London on his own. "What about him?" Here we go again...
- "I think maybe it would be best if he lived here for a while," Yes that's what I thought she'd say.

It's always just been my mum and I. My parents got divorced when I was 3 and I used to visit him in the weekends sometimes back then but I hardly see him anymore. He doesn't reach out to me, and I don't reach out to him. It suits me fine really.

My mum though was always very caring towards people she worked with at the asylum center, and I think she does a great job at what she does. We have had someone living here for a while in the past. My mum is very generous in that way, especially if the client's case or story really touches her heart.

We had a young woman living with us in our house when I was about 8 years old. She was from Somalia, and she was always really nice to me and a great help in the house, even though my mum said she didn't have to do anything at all.

She lived here for only 4 months before she killed herself because her fiancé whom she was on the run from, was on the verge of finding her. I don't know the detailt, but it was like losing a big sister even though it had only been a couple of months. It really took a toll on my mum.

- "What like here in the house? Like that Zayn guy?" I asks as calmly as I can.
- "Yes," my mum says, her voice sounding guilty in a way, like she knows it's a bit crazy.

- "Why? People run away from places all the time. Why does he have to live here," I close my laptop and look at her with disbelieve.

- "I think he would be better off not living with the other immigrants, it would benefit him to try and experience the culture and get the idea that we are nice people, that he can talk to us. He's a bit closed off.." She says. "We have tried to put him in the asylum with the rest of them but he refuses to speak, saying he doesn't like to be locked up. He only speaks with me, as he thinks I'm the only one trying to help,"
And she probably is, but still..

- "But do you even know anything about him?" I mean he could be a rapist at worst, a murderer.

- "It's confidential honey, you know I can't tell you everything, not even you. But I would never put you in any form of danger. I'm just trying to do my job the best I can," I know I can't win over her in this. She has already made up her mind. "It will be just like having a exchange student living here,"

- "For how long then?"
- "It depends. You know I don't know that, honey,"

_________

Please vote and comment if you would like to read more of this :*