Chapter Eight: Irritation

Ever since that damn weekend I had decided to go out with Quinn he had been tripping on me. Acting all possessive and shit like I belonged to him or something. Here I was three weeks later and he called himself trying to rain on my parade. Niggas who tried to holler at me were promptly and quickly told by others that he was fucking around with me. Sure I had agreed to a pre-trial but his possessiveness was irking my last nerve. I couldn’t help it if niggas wanted me.

 Because of that I couldn’t go anywhere without someone commenting or saying something along the lines of, “That’s Q’s girl.”

I was fed up with it. I hadn’t agreed to be with him. In my eyes we were friends that made out every now and then. He was seriously irking my nerves with the way he was putting an end to the things that I wanted. I enjoyed being around other people and knowing securely that I could talk to anyone I wanted to. Quinn’s dumb ass had put an end to that.

Now whenever I even dreamed of talking to a nigga he ran in the other direction. I couldn’t talk to whoever I wanted to and if I had any doubt before that Quinn was involved in some dangerous shit, it had completely dissolved. He was no doubt about it involved with selling drugs and had some position that scared the fuck out of niggas. I didn’t know how he expected to keep me close to him and he kept sending everyone away.

Huffing, I pushed my bag over my shoulder as I headed out of the school building. Staring darkly at the students passing by me, I saw Jasmine walking down the hall with some other girls.

As she walked past she said, “Q is going through a phase he’ll be over her soon enough, don’t worry Ja’leisa.”

Rolling my eyes, I flipped her off. Cheerleading tryouts had been the week before and I had tried out. I had a spot on the team but I wasn’t happy. Jasmine was the co-captain. The dance team was different they were still looking for potential leaders and I knew I was going to be one of them. I had passed through the first tryouts with ease. The next set of tryouts was tomorrow and I’d be going against more people. I wasn’t worried, Miranda was joining too. She had passed first tryouts.

The second tryouts were to replace members on the dance team who were graduating and leaving the team. They’d still be there but they would be more in the background and offering guidance every now and then. Miranda didn’t care to do second round, I did. After I got my position I was going to leave the cheer squad and focus solely on dance. Jasmine wasn’t on that team because the squad leader didn’t like her and she quite frankly used every moment to embarrass her. At some points in the year the dance squad and the cheerleaders faced off at pep rally to show more excitement and competitiveness as well encouraging other students to go.

Another benefit of the dance team was that there was way more guys on it then on the cheerleading squad. There were some fine niggas on that team and I couldn’t help but admire the view of some of them. Of course a few of them were scared of Quinn but a few of them hadn’t heard of him either because they were considered “ordinary.” I couldn’t disagree more. Normal by school standards or not, fine was fine.

Looking around the parking around the parking lot I noticed that there was still a crowd of people outside. Some were lounging and others were making out. Miranda was still at the other end of the building talking on the phone with some random nigga. It wasn’t all the time that she did it but lately it had been becoming more and more common. She was falling for some fool and Josh was at football practice which why I was still here as well as Miranda we were waiting for Josh to get out of practice and I was becoming more and more tempted to walk home to avoid meeting up with Quinn.