Chapter One

Shrill shrieks came from a young girl, as she raced beside our dog. I had rescued Baxter from the shelter, they said he was a very protective dog, and I knew he'd be the best for my daughter. Baxter was a black dog, with white splotches. He was huge, like a Great Dane. I never once was worried for my daughter.

But then, Baxter began barking, standing in a tense position, as a man appeared. I stood up, and darted over to my daughter. I knew playing in the front yard could attract people, but I wasn't expecting this person. Baxter snarled, and barked. I tapped his hip, and pushed down on his back. He sat down, and the man walked over.

Short black hair, soft brown-hazel eyes, Avenged Sevenfold shirt, and black shirt. I sighed, and the man stepped forward, and my daughter gripped my shirt. "Momma!" She whined. The man reached out, but I sat her down.

"Take Baxter and head in. Go play in the play room." I told her, she shrilled out Baxter's name, and they headed inside. I turned to the man, glaring at him. "What are you doing here, Matt?" I asked, crossing my arms. Matt was watching my daughter and Baxter enter the house. As the door shut, he turned to me.

"Easy, my daughter." He growled, I sighed, and he began to explained how he found out, and how he knew where to find me. Silence over came me, and I sighed softly. "I want to meet and see my daughter, now." He grabbed my shoulders, and brushed them. "Please, Faith. When I found out, my wife had told me. She told me if I had a secret love child, I better be there, since she filed for divorce upon finding out." He sighed, and I turned away.

I sighed, and turned around. Chevy won't like this. I sighed, and led him to the house. I could hear Baxter's loud barking, as he played. I reached the door, and glanced at him. "Chevy doesn't know that you exist. She's actually very timid, and shy around men. That's why we moved here." I told him, and he willed me to open the door. As I opened it, Baxter raced into the living room, Chevy on his back.

I giggled, and let go of Matt's hand, quickly scooping up my daughter, and kissed her cheek. She squealed and laughed, wrapping her arms around me. She yawned, before going stiff. She gave a soft cry, and scrambled out of my arms. I sat her down, and she darted off. I sighed, and stood up. Matt went after her, but then Chevy screamed, and I raced over. Matt was standing by the door, as Chevy cowered in the corner.

I shoved him aside, and raced over to her, lifting her up. "Hush, baby girl. You're alright." I held her close, as she cried into my neck. "I've got you, Chevy." I whispered, nuzzling her softly. Chevy cried heavily, before I spun around, and sat down on the bed. "Chevy, baby, this is Matt." Chevy turned her head lightly, and looked at him. "That's your dad." Her eyes widened, before shrieking, and reaching out for Matt. Matt smiled, and took her. Chevy smiled, and giggled.

"Dada? Where were you?" She asked, and I stood up. Matt looked at me, before shaking his head.

"It's history, sweetie. Right now, is more important." He smiled, and smiled. I stepped forward, and Chevy yawned. "Nap time?" He asked. I nodded softly, and led him to Chevy's room. It was a white room, with pictures, and drawings on it. It even had stickers on the ceiling. Matt sat on her bed, and held her to him, before kissing her cheek. Chevy smiled, and giggled, before yawning. I sat down, holding her favorite story.

"Kitties On the Job!" She squealed, and faced me. I began to read about Benny. Each of these stories were based on real cats I had heard or seen, but created a cat and a story in their place. Chevy laid her head quickly on Matt's chest, falling asleep. I smiled, and Matt laid her down, laying her under the covers.

Matt and I quietly left the room, as Baxter entered the room, and laid down. I closed the door lightly, and walked over to the couch, and sat down. Matt copied, and I sighed. "I was happy alone, Matt." I whispered, and he looked at me. "I thought I didn't need her father around. But seeing how happy she was when she saw you, after I said you were her father..." I looked down, hiding the tears that threatened to escape.