Chapter 16

When I finally mustered up the courage to leave the safety of the women's restroom I came back to an empty office. I sighed in relief and walked over to plop down in my desk chair, noticing a single, yellow Post-it note stuck to my monitor - it read:

See Violet in room 257 for further instructions. She will be your mentor for the rest of the week - carry a pen with you daily.

I then quickly grabbed a pen from one of the drawers and scurried to room 257 which was just a few steps down the hall. When I reached Violet's office I proceeded to knock on the door, even though it was open, and waited for her to look up at me before entering.

She glanced up from her work and quickly rose to her feet as a smile lit up her face.

Violet was the epitome of a pear-shaped figure which was unusual considering she was white. Her bust was rather small but her hips could've put Nicki Minaj to shame - and Violet's were real. She had jet black, curly shoulder length hair and sparkling blue eyes. Her skin was Snow White pale but utterly flawless - not a freckle or blemish in sight.

"Come in!" Violet exclaimed cheerfully and rounded her desk to greet me. "You must be Michelle." She said as she extended her hand for me to shake.

"Yes, and you must be Violet?" I asked even though I already knew the answer, shaking her hand in the process.

"The one and only!" She beamed and skipped around me to close her door. "So, Marko needs you to start ASAP, are you ready?"

"I came prepared!" I replied with a smile and waved my pen in the air.

"Awesome sauce!" Violet exclaimed as she clasped her hands together beside her face. "Let's get started!"

Awesome sauce? Is that what she was eating that made her so giddy? If so I was staying the hell away from that shit. Even being in her presence made me wanna stand up on the table and start singing "Do-Re-Mi" at the top of my lungs - and Lord knows I can not sing.

Violet led me to a room filled with various files in different stacks in separate piles then pointed to one of the smaller piles in the corner.

"Marko would like you to recheck the calculations in each file first then make an excel document with their individual totals and the clientele's names to record them all for later  - sound good?" Violet asked as she walked over to my pile of files, picked a stack up and handed it off to me.

"Perfect!" I replied and forced a smile as my arm muscles screamed in pain.

These files were heavy.

"When you're finished with those just come back to this room and repeat the process until you've completed the entire pile, alright?"

"Got it!" I groaned as I shifted my weight from one leg to the next.

"Come see me when you're done!" Violet added and walked away, leaving me standing amongst piles and piles of files.

"This is gonna be a piece of cake." I said aloud and nodded my head to reassure my utter confidence.

Thirty minutes later...

"You can come pick me up now." I groaned into the phone and leaned back in my comfy chair, exhaustion already hitting me like a ton of bricks.

I heard Jonathan chuckle on the other end of the phone and sigh.

"You just started, Chelle - give it time." He suggested.

"I've given it," I began to reply and looked down at my watch. "thirty-two minutes. I think I'm done."

"Wow, what a trooper." Jonathan teased and stifled a laugh.