Chapter 23: Off Direction

Cupquake's POV

----------------------

Red was scanning off a newsprint rather rubbishy nailed to a stone wall, and RED aloud. (XD)

"Lady Ro'meave in jail, Ivy now takes control...Hmmm....nothing too useful on here."

Ro'meave.

Lady Ro'meave?

Then it clicked.

Garroth's mother.

"Wait, hold it!" I said, jabbing a finger at the word 'Ro'meave'. "That's Garroth's mother!" 

"Who now?" Red asked.

"The head guard back at Aphmau's village, his mother is Lady Ro'meave!" I exclaimed.

"But wouldn't that make him..." Red glanced at the flyer once more. "The lost prince of O'Khasis?!"

"Exactly! According to Garroth, his mother was imprisoned along with his father. His mother was able to help last time when they were in O'Khasis, but she was unable to escape. She should be on our side."

"Should be?" Red skeptically observed the sign again.

"She's our best chance at finding any information on whereabouts of my Memory Shard. Everybody else here is either hiding or hostile." I confidentially pronounced.

"You have a good point Tiff. But what about that head general Ivy? She has to be prowling around at times like this." Red pointed out.

"True, but that's kinda the point of this secret mission. It's gotta be in 'secret'." I said, putting an emphasis on 'secret'.

Nothing more was said when we approached the giant wall of O'Khasis.

"So." I stared at the stone bricks. "What now?"

"What do you mean, what now?" Red asked.

"How do we get in?" I asked.

"Easy." Red said, suddenly pulling out an iron pickaxe. "We mine."

"That's gonna attract too much attention." I protested.

"This is the east wall." Red began explaining. "Hardly any activity goes on here other than the occasional glance but that's it."

I was skeptic. "How can you be so sure?"

"I traveled before I found you." Red responded, lifting his pick. "And I've noticed the pattern of how O'Khasis runs."

Tinck! 

Tinck! 

Sounds of iron against stone rattled sound waves around us.

One block down.

Tinck!

Tinck!

A small passageway was now open in the walls.

"Come on." 

Both of us slipped in, careful not to get scratched by the jagged edges of fresh cut stone.

The first thing was darkness, and clippings of yellow street lights popping through alleyway windows.

"Well, you were right." I grudgingly admitted. "Nobody here."

As if on cue, loud clanking metal sounded from the left corner.

Boots.

"Jinxed it." Red muttered. He grabbed my arm, and let go as soon as I gained balance in our run from danger.