Prologue

I placed my hands on his shoulders, looking at him directly in his eyes, a stern look in my own. "Please, for fuck's sake, for your own safety, you need to leave me alone. It's not safe to be involved with someone like me, with people out to kill me and my family. It might already be too late for you, but it may not be. Get out of my life while you can. I don't mean it harshly. I just want you to be safe."

Jake swatted my hands away from him, hurt and anger burning in his eyes. "Bullshit. Bull fucking shit. That's just a load of lies to get me out of your life, because you just don't want me anymore. Save it, Rowan. If you don't love me, why don't you just tell me instead of feeding me a bunch of lies?"

Tears formed in my eyes as the words flowed out of his mouth. He didn't believe a word that I had said. But he needed to believe me. It was for his own good. He needed to stay away, hide, and just forget about me.

"They're not lies, Jake. You're in serious danger for being involved with me. The whole band is. I can't tell you what's going on. Being with me is literally going to kill you. I'm sorry Jake. Don't forget, I love you." With that, I gave him one last kiss. Quickly pulling away, I ran in the other direction, the rain pouring onto my body.

The harsh wind and rain was freezing, especially since it was winter time. At the moment, Jake was the only thing on my mind. I hope he'd take my advice. He needed to stay safe. Being with me was not going to keep him safe.

He needed to stay alive.

I couldn't let him die, no. Not now, not tomorrow, not ever.

I'll never let him steal my coffin.