Chapter 4

There was nothing better than a proper, hot bath after many stressful years and an emotional reunion. The hot yet comfortable water engulfed the Prussian, who was playing with the bubbles floating on top. It was childish in most eyes, but Gilbert didn't care. He would give anything to be a child again.

        The water stung on his various cuts and scratches but the pain would subside, and he would relax again. Gilbert leaned back against the back of the tub and let his eyes shut. He sat in the water, just soaking and relaxing. He hadn't had a proper bath in the longest while, just a quick shower and sometimes without hot water. The bath was a step up and it definitely took a lot of the pain away. The Prussian felt much better.       

        His heart felt lighter and his shoulders felt much more free. His brother didn't hate him, Roderich had missed him, Elizabeta was still his friend, and his physical wounds were much less painful. Gilbert hadn't felt this relaxed in the longest time, but he knew he couldn't stay in too long. He would either prune up, or fall asleep. Both were rather undesirable so after a few more minutes of relaxation, Gilbert pried his eyes open and forced himself out of the water.

        Once he had dried off he eyed the clothes he had been given. It was nothing too fancy but it was rather nice. He pulled on the black dress pants and white button up, making sure to tuck it in since he was having dinner with all the other Germanic nations. Gilbert slipped on his shoes and dried off his hair, leaving it in its usual messy state before stepping out the bathroom. He made absolute certain to keep his sleeves down and wrist out of sight.

        Gilbert stepped through the hallways until he found his way into the dining room, where Elizabeta immediately moved to him and bandaged his head. Why did she randomly have medical supplies in the dining room, he wasn't sure. However, he figured she would dress his major wound sometime.

        "Elizabeta, who's coming over again? And why?" he asked, actually quite clueless on the whole situation.

        "Oh, Vash and Lili are coming for dinner," Elizabeta explained. "It's to gather after your return, of course!"

        With a still slightly confused nod, Gilbert let the subject be. His eyes scanned the dining room, where the table was set with fine dishes and such. Oh, fine dining. Gilbert never understood why people were set on being so proper while eating. He never questioned it, however.

        "Where's West and Specs?" the Prussian asked as he noticed their absence.

        "Your brother is getting ready and Roderich is waiting for the arrival of the other two," the Hungarian responded. "You're welcome to take a seat or venture off."

        "Danke, Eliza," Gilbert said with a smile. He didn't want to linger in the dining room as Eliza completed setting up, as he knew she was not going to allow him to help. So Gilbert stepped out of the dining room and into the main entrance, where Roderich stood waiting. The Austrian seemed to be focused on something other than watching, as his eyes were distant. Before Gilbert could make the decision on whether or not to bother him, those vibrant, violet eyes switched to his own red ones.

        "Oh, hallo Gilbert. How was your bath?" Roderich asked as he turned his attention back to the window.

        "It was relaxing and nice, I guess... I haven't had anything but showers in the longest time, so I suppose it was refreshing," Gilbert responded. A ghost of a smile crossed the Austrian's face.

        "I suppose you'd call it 'awesome'?"

        Gilbert simply laughed and shook his head. He didn't get a chance to respond as a knock sounded at the door. The Prussian took a step back and put a smile on as Roderich opened up the door to reveal Vash and Lili. Lili, as always, was smiling in her pink dress and happy to be here. Vash on the other hand was his usual self, his face set in what one would call a "resting bitch-face". It seemed nothing had changed.