Chapter 6

From the very minute Gilbert had gotten into dry clothes, he knew he didn't feel like dealing with everyone. Feliciano had already seen them in the fountain and more than likely already told Elizabeta and Ludwig. Gilbert didn't want to deal with questions of what happened and he didn't exactly want to face Roderich after what the Austrian told him. He was aware he was more than likely acting like child over it but quite frankly, he didn't care.

        The Prussian hadn't left his room at all in those hours. He hadn't moved when it came to dinner either and when his brother came to check on him about it, he simply claimed he wasn't hungry. He wasn't surprised, though, when his brother saw through it. However, contrary to Gilbert's thoughts, Ludwig didn't ask anything. He simply ruffled the albino's hair before stepping out of the room. For that, Gilbert was grateful. His brother could still tell when he didn't want to talk about something.

        Once Gilbert's thoughts had stopped swarming and he was able to get comfortable enough, he fell into a, for the most part, peaceful sleep. When awake, he found it fascinating that the subconscious was always alive and that he dreamed every night, whether he remembered it when he awoke or not. But this...was something he felt he'd rather not remember when he awoke.

        Gilbert was standing in the doorway of the music room, his crimson eyes fixated on the figure at the piano. Roderich was always so graceful when playing, the albino couldn't help but watch him. The Austrian just seemed to have not a single care in the world when he was around music and Gilbert wondered if that's how he looked when playing the flute. Quite possibly? Or, perhaps, when he was watching Roderich?

        The music flowed around and through Gilbert's head, causing a smile to grace his lips. One day...maybe they could make music together. His fingers twitched slightly at the thought of having his flute again. People may have looked down on the Austrian for his obsession with music but Gilbert could not blame him.

        Music in itself was an art. So much more went into it than just playing. The sheet music scattered with bars and lines and dots and various different symbols might've been Egyptian to the untrained eye but to a musician, it meant so much more. Along with the various parts of every instrument, and every piece coming together to create a beautiful melody, it wasn't hard to see why Roderich loved music.

        The final note faded out and Gilbert let his smile grow. He watched as Roderich lingered by the piano just for a few more minutes before pushing himself to his feet. Violet eyes met his own crimson ones and Gilbert felt his heart pounding in his chest as it always did when he saw or was around the Austrian. The brunet made his way over and Gilbert gave a smile.

        That smile slipped away as Roderich passed by him without a word. Gilbert watched the Austrian in a little of confusion before walking after him only to pause once Roderich held a hand up. The brunet kept walking, but Gilbert felt his heart crumble. His crimson eyes followed the Austrian who neither stopped, nor looked back.

        Before Gilbert was aware of what had happened, the scene had shifted. Roderich stood in front of Gilbert, and the Prussian was quite sure he had never seen the Austrian this angry. Not even when they were in battle and quite frankly, it scared Gilbert. The albino took a shaky step back. He didn't know what he had done to get Roderich thisangry.

        "Gilbert Beilschmidt," Roderich stated, his voice oddly calm but dripping with venom, "you will never get it, will you? Ludwig has been and always will be better than you, and much more pleasant to be around. Why else do you think you were the one to dissolve and not he? I have not wished more than I do now that the Berlin Wall was still in place so that you may be stuck in Ivan's clutches and out of my sight."