Chapter 11: What Can I Say?

"What am I even supposed to say to you, Liam? Do you want me to pretend that you didn't just accuse me of murdering your sister? I get that you were upset, but that doesn't give you the right to act like a maniac!" I had tears streaming down my face, and my eyes burned. Liam moved closer to me and put his arm around me. "Cassie, I need you to please forgive me. I need you." Deep down I knew that I needed him too, but I couldn't make the words come out. I stood up and left Liam sitting on the rusty old balcony by himself.

I didn't want to go back to school to face all of the kids, and I couldn't go back home to get the "I told you so" talk. I got into my car and started to drive. Not only did I have no idea where I was going, but I had no idea who would even notice that I was gone. My thoughts were swirling around my mind; I thought I might puke. Pulling over just wasn't an option for me. I just forced myself to keep going. Deciding I needed music, I plugged in my phone only to hear Liam's song to me pour through my speakers. It made me cry once again.

After driving for an hour and a half, I pulled over to have dinner at a runned- down diner in the middle of nowhere. When I ordered my coffee, I thought about when I asked Liam to meet me there that first day I met him. Somehow, I could feel his arm around my shoulder even though it wasn't really there. I dialed his number, and I bit my lip nervously as it rang. "Cassie, thank God! Your mom has called me three times saying she can't find you. Where are you? Are you hurt?" I almost laughed at the last question, but I kept my mouth shut. "I'm fine. I just needed some alone time. I'm at some diner in between towns; I think it's called Jack's." I heard him sigh of relief. "I'm going there now." Before I could detest, he hung up.

I had just ordered my third cup of coffee and a cherry danish when Liam walked in. "Why did you come here?" I asked Liam trying to cut to the chase. "I came here because even though I know you are pissed at me I also knew that your mom thought you went missing. Cassie, what were you thinking?" I looked out of my window making sure I wasn't looking at his sad eyes across the table. "I was so hurt and angry that I wasn't thinking about where I was going. I was thinking about you, Liam; I was thinking about you. I haven't been able to think about anything but you ever since I laid eyes on you. That scares me."

"Why does that scare you?" He asked while I took a huge swig of coffee. "It scares me because I am not the girl who loses her focus on things because of a guy. I am not the girl who runs away because she got her heart broken. I am a different person because of you, and that scares the hell out of me." He grabbed my hand from across the table and kissed it gently. "That's what it feels like to be in love, Cassie. It is the worst thing and the best thing all at the same time. While it scares the hell out of me too, I think we should just go for it." We started to kiss for what felt like an eternity. We started walking toward the parking lot, and he put his arm around my shoulder where it should always be. I never want to forget that moment, and I don't think I ever will.