Chapter 4

*1 Month Later*

Max and I ended up hanging out a lot for the past month. He would pick me up from work on the nights that I worked. When I worked in the afternoon, I would take my own car.

I had told my mother about him. She kept telling me that she wanted to talk to me in person, but we could never really make out a time. She was a shifter, like me. I knew that there must be something important that she needed to tell me. 

"Mom, please just tell me what it is. You and I have totally different lives." I told her over the phone. I heard her sigh then there was a silence. 

"He might be your mate. We mate because we are like animals. Many of them have mates and they mate for life. How did the two of you even meet?" She told me. I never thought of that being the reason of why we were attracted to each other. 

"We met at a bar. It just went from there." I told her. 

"I think that the two of you might be mates. It would make sense. No offense, but you aren't exactly the right type of girl." She told me. She wasn't either. She was homeless when my dad found her. The two of them were perfect from the start. 

"I'll think about it and watch him." I told her. I wasn't quite sure about how I felt being his mate.

"Good. Alright. You stay safe." She told me. Then she hung up. That was usually all that our conversations were. Sweet and to the point.

I then saw that it was almost time for Max to come and pick me up. I sighed and looked at one of my posters. It was a picture of a tiger. I sighed and thought about the way that the tiger would think, feel, sense things, and feel. I then felt myself turn into one.

I needed this small amount of time to let my animal side run out. I sauntered around my apartment as I was in this tiger form. It really was one of my favorites. I could just walk around with so much power and own it. There was a floor to ceiling mirror and I looked at my reflection. I loved the way that I looked when I was a tiger. I then saw one of my other posters. It was a deer. I then thought of a deer and how they would think, behave, and feel. Before I knew it, I was a deer.

Really all of the animals were fun. Being a deer got boring after a while, though. I then turned back into a human. It was almost time for Max to come and get me and I was naked. I knew that he wouldn't mind, but we really needed to be at his place. They were having a dinner for something important.

I grabbed one of my nicer dresses. It was conservative compared to what I usually wore. It came to my ankle and there was a cover up for the shoulders. I thought that I looked really nice in it. I didn't like to show my muscles off. I noticed that many guys didn't like them. Max didn't seem to mind them at all.

When he came to the door, I saw that he was in a suit. I smiled at him and we went to the house. Before we went in, I stopped him from opening the door.

"Wait, what is this for again?" I asked him. He sighed and looked at me.

"Kelsey thought that it would be nice to have a dinner for you. They all think that you have been working nights because of a project." Max finally confessed to me. I sighed and looked out the window. He and I both knew that Jay knew the truth. 

"Well then. I guess we will just have to see how good of an actor you really are." I told him. I then got out of the car and he did too. 

"What about you?" He asked me. 

"You think that I go and do what I do thinking that I am me? No, that is a character that I play." I told him. It then started to make sense to him. He and I walked to the door with smiles on our faces. We walked in and I saw that the others were here.