Chapter 1

Chapter 1: Looking for My Muse

[ 2013, Present]

It's been a year since Emma published her first book, "My Angel"

The story was about a girl who meets a boy in a New York hospital. She falls in love at first sight of him when he saves her from a robbery. But what the girl doesn't know is that he's the guardian angel of her younger brother who is in coma, and he will tell her what she has to do in order to save her brother. 

 Maybe the book had not been a bestseller as Emma wanted, but it had helped her to sign a contract with a recognized publishing house. After a year writing her second book, she would meet Mr. Gallagher, her literary agent. She was sure that this book would be better than the first one, so she was just waiting to make a deal for her next issue.

However, Mr. Gallagher would say the opposite.

"So...? What do you think?" Emma asked smiling.

"I don't know, Miss Rodriguez. There's something missing..."

"Why?" Emma didn't expect that comment. She took all his recomendations before writing this book, so why was something missing in the plot? "But I wrote the story following your tips" she replied "You perfectly said it, create a romantic story you know that teens will love it. And that's what I did!"

"Yes..., but this is the typical highschool story. Nothing new."

"You're right..." 

"What happened, Miss Rodriguez? Your first book was ten out of ten and this is just...trash. Excuse me, but it's true."

Emma didn't know how to defend her book. The truth was that she never liked the story. She had spent so much time suffering in creating this new novel, that she had forgotten the main reason why she had become a writer. Now, she would write what people want to read, and not what she wanted to write.

"What happened, Emma? Tell me."

"Two words. No inspiration."

"Don't worry, all writers go through that." He said while he gave back the draft of her novel "I will give you three months more to create a real Emma Rodriguez' book."

"Could it be five months more?"

"You're so funny! I said three months, not more." he replied changing his fake smiley face in a serious one.

"OK!" she nodded enthusiastically, hiding her real sad face"I just wanted to ask..."

"If I could give you an advice, try to do something new. Go on a trip to the countryside, or maybe travel abroad. It could help you, as inspiration"

"I did those things last year, and...it didn't work."

"Mmm...And what about dating with someone? That person could become your muse. Most writers have one, why not you?" 

"My Muse..." It's been a long time she hasn't heard that word. After that horrible day when she met her muse, she never saw him again. However, thanks to him, she could write her first novel, and it was her best achievement until now. 

"A muse? I don't need that" Emma was trying to not blush, but she knew that Mr. Gallagher was right. She hadn't had a relationship for quite some time, so that could explain her lack of romanticism in the book. Maybe if she found a new crush, she could be more inspired, but... Who could overtake her angel? Who?

"Are you sure? I don't think you created your Angel's story without any help. I bet you met someone, and you wrote a story about him. Or at least, he was an inspiration.

"Well... I don't have to be in love to create a good story! I'm a free spirit that...whose only pasion is literature!" She insisted nervously.

"Did he break your heart or he cheat on you?"

"What? No! No! You're not listening to me."

"OK, he broke your heart. It must be that." Emma tried to deny that, but the man was so concentrated in figuring out more about Emma's ex muse."Or it was a one-sided love?

"No, it was not that!" Emma denied very embarrased. She had always said to herself that she wouldn't fall in love with a man whose name she didn't even know. But what Emma cannot deny is that without him, she couldn't have written her novel, Angel. So, does she need to see him again?

"Anyway, I'm just giving ideas for your inspiration."

"I have to go" she responded taking her bag.

"OK. But Emma," She turned around to look at him. "take my last advice. Go and look for your muse."

***

After talking with Mr. Gallargher, Emma took a cab to go home.

The traffic light turned red and the cars stopped .

Emma took the draft of her rejected book out from her bag, and started reading it while tears rolled down her face."Where could I find my muse?she asked herself while she remembered what her literary agent said to her. "Don't be stupid, Emma! You cannot find him...,"

The light turned green.

"... because he's already gone."

Where could he be? Would he be far away from here?

Maybe not. The area where the cab was going through had a lot of advertisements for various famous clothing brands whose picture was the same male model. 

Is him the muse that Emma is looking for?

All Rights Reserved. Copyright © teffo96 2013-2016

If you liked the chapter, click on the star and comment ♥

¡Nos vemos! :D