Soul Ringer 8

-8- Necromancer

Hours later I finally woke from my deep state of unconsciousness in a strange room. I was laying, fully clothed, in a huge bed in a giant room, which seemed bigger than my own back at the palace. The floor was polished marble, the bedding rich, colorful silk. I felt like royalty again sitting in this room, surrounded by riches worthy of only kings.

Memories from last night flooded back all at once. Cheshire; Cheshire had made me pass out the way he had when we first met.

I sprang out of bed and sprinted to the door. My body slammed against it painfully, hands struggling to turn the doorknob. It didn’t budge. I gave the mirror-like wood another good shove, twisting the knob hard enough to make my palms sting.

“Let me out!” I demanded. “You damn cat, what do you want with me?” I didn’t know if my voice carried out into the hall or if it failed to penetrate the door. “Cheshire!”

“Ring, dear,” his innocent voice came through the door. “The door doesn’t open that way,” he informed me helpfully.

I flushed and pulled instead. Effortlessly the door flung open, hinges squealing. I leapt back, but wasn’t fast enough to dodge. The side of the door hit my face with a good smack. I flew to the ground from the force, curling up in pain.

“You’re a bright one aren’t you?” Cheshire floated into the room. He peered at me from around the edge of the door and flashed me that unnaturally big smile. “Hungry?”

I glared at him, then at the tray of sweets and tea in his hands/paws. For a moment I wondered if he’d poisoned it. I decided against it quickly, realizing that would make kidnapping me pointless. I grabbed a cookie and stuffed it in my mouth, manners forgotten.

“What…do you… want?” I asked between chewing.

“I thought I should help you out.” His smile wavered a little but didn’t shrink.

I eyed him and the food suspiciously. Silently, he watched me assess my situation. Why was he being like this after trying to tear my memories from my head? Was he doing this to get back at Simon? I still hadn’t been told why they hated each other so much.

“Simon’s in the hospital. Well, as close to a hospital as the Underground has.” He looked me in the eyes. “You miss him don’t you? You don’t want him to be hurt, that’s why you’re going through with that crazy woman’s plans,” he stated.

“What’s your point? I already know all of that,” I puffed out an impatient breath.

“Just making sure you’re really prepared to give your life for him.” Cheshire advanced towards me, making me recoil against the floor. “Would you like my help?”

“I don’t think I need it,” I said nervously. I sat up and faced him squarely, not letting him think he had an advantage over me. “I can do this without some stranger’s help; especially one Simon hates.”

He laughed a loud, genuine chortle. “Then why are you helping Jay? Is it just because you think he’s still alive?”

My heart stopped. What was he talking about? “H-he’s alive!” I shouted. “He’s in the hospital; you said so yourself!”

“I was only testing to see how much you’d been told,” he replied simply with a shrug. “Obviously not much. I guarantee you Simon is d-e-a-d.” His face was only an inch from mine now. Panic made my mind go haywire, though, so I didn’t even notice.

I shook my head. Simon wasn’t dead. How could he be dead?! Stupid question, I know but I couldn’t bring myself to believe it. He was all I had left, my only family, only friend. My eyes were wide, tears spilled down my cheeks uncontrollably. My whole body trembled and racked with sobs. For some reason I knew Cheshire was right. Simon was gone. They’d torn him from right under my nose without me realizing it.