Soul RInger 3

-3- Underground Circuit

I wandered around, following the scents of different foods. My stomach rumbled hungrily, making me blush a bit.

Eventually I came across the place with the cinnamon buns and other bakery goodies. I ended up buying pretty much a bit of everything. Next I found a secluded place to sit and eat a little before heading out randomly with no destination in mind.

“Prince Raymm?” a female voice called from a particularly big tent off to my right. It was made of thick, black fabric. The woman who stood in front had lush curves and a waterfall of strange, yet beautiful teal hair. Her eyes shone a bright, intelligent yellow. Her outfit was just as strange; a black and white, checkered top with black, baggy pants. On her hip perched a short sword with a beautifully sculpted metal hilt.

I gazed at her in wonder.

“You are the prince, right?” she asked again, approaching me.

I don’t know why, but I nodded and stood up to meet her. She held out her hand and I grasped it firmly.

“Jay Lee,” she introduced herself, bowing respectfully.

“H-how did you know who I was?” I had thought I looked like I could’ve been anyone dressed like this. But somehow she’d seen through it. That or she was expecting me. I stepped back, so there was comfortable space between us.

“Simon told me to keep an eye out for ya,” her simple reply made my heart skip a beat.

“Is he here?” I tried to contain my relief and excitement. If he had already escaped then I’d have nothing to worry about.

Jay looked at me with knowing eyes and slowly shook her head. My heart fell and I looked at the ground.

“Then why…”

“He contacted me about an hour ago.” With that, she grabbed my wrist and dragged me with her into the tent. For the first time I realized she wasn’t wearing a mask. I was in too bad of a mood to care or ask, though.

Simon contacted her? Did that mean he’d gotten away? I doubted it. Sighing, I let her lead me into the dimly lit tent.

“Wait here. I’ll be back soon but I have a customer to see to.”

I just nodded. If Simon had her come and get me then she must be trustworthy. I decided to distract myself with snooping around the strange things she had in her tent. They were obviously for sale, although the prices were nowhere to be seen. I guess it was up to you to barter a price.

A necklace caught my eye. It glowed a similar blue to that of the Spirit Master devices. But it was no more than a simple chain with a crescent shaped pendent hanging in the center. I reach a hand out to touch it. The air around it was warmer and humming with energy. When my fingers came in contact with the chain I felt the same warmth and energy flow throughout my body. Looking around to make sure nobody was watching, I gently lifted t off the shelf and held the pendent, the chain falling over my fingers.

“Do you like it?” Jay’s sweet voice came up beside me as she peered over my shoulder to see the necklace in my hand. “You can have it one day,” she offered, sounding very generous.

“What do you mean?” I turned to look at her. She shrugged and took it from my hand, placing it back on the shelf. Then she grabbed my wrist again and pulled me into a separate part of the tent. There she sat down on a big, purple cushion and motioned for me to do the same in the gray one across from it.

“Now let’s talk about our game plan,” she said with a smile. Her eyes met mine expectantly. “You don’t have a plan do ya?”

I shook my head, still not quite sure what I should say. Did she mean rescuing Simon?