A blinded destiny

I sat facing Kenny; he was still fast asleep on the hospital bed. He wasn’t woken up yet though. The night nurse just recently left after checking up on him and she was shocked that I was still awake. Mum was fast asleep at the other sofa, curled up on it. I made sure she was warm before making my way to the only other chair and sat on it.

I couldn’t sleep.

I couldn’t sleep because I was afraid that the nightmare will come back with a vengeance and without Kenny beside me, sleeping wasn’t an option for me right now. I sighed heavily and rubbed my eyes as I plugged in my earpieces. Looks like I have a long night ahead of me. I’d better get used to it.

I heard the alarm from my phone vibrate, signalling that it was five in the morning. I had set up an alarm every hour just so that I knew what time it was, this place has no electronic clock that tells you what time it is. I needed to wake mum up at six because she needs to leave for work. She needs to drive home, bathe and get changed so she told me to wake her up an hour earlier. She knew I won’t sleep, she knew about the nightmares but she also knew she couldn’t stop it anyway.

About six hours ago, both the FBI and the police came in to question all of us. They got all our statements, taking note everything we said and they shooed both Damien and Jeremy out of the ward. I felt Jeremy grip my arm before he left, he whispered telling me to stay strong and I nodded at him, not daring to speak. I was afraid my voice would crack.

The police left after they discussed with the FBI and that the case was brought over to the higher-ups. I knew both of the FBI agents that were there. They were Special Agents Andy Breing and Rafael David. They were the ones who protected us during the siege last year and had made sure none of the gangsters disturbed us while the Bureau investigated the case.

Now it seemed that we meet again.

‘Nice to meet you guys again,’ I said quietly.

‘It has been a year,’ Agent Andy spoke first, a little too formal for my taste. I tried not to roll my eyes at him which made him chuckle. ‘Well, it seemed that nothing changed. How is college for the both of you? What majors are you two taking?’

‘I’m taking a degree in music while Kenny is taking a degree in mechanical engineering,’ I told them. ‘It’s fine though, getting swamped with a lot of projects and tests but all is fine. So what will happen to us since he found us again?’

‘We’ll have two undercover agents with you. One assigned with Kenny and another assigned to you, we’ll make it sound like they’re new students and they’ll follow you around wherever you go so you’d be protected. We’ll inform the student body, the Principal and all the teachers so they would know about this,’ Agent Rafael spoke on his behalf.

I sighed.

‘We’d have a patrol officer around your house every few hours and the two agents would be living with you too, so I suggest you guys make friends with them quick,’ he continued. ‘We would also have another officer to tail Clara for awhile in case of anything. We don’t want anything to happen so we need to be very stringent.’

‘I have to be tailed? Seriously?’ Mum suddenly spoke from beside me. She doesn’t sound as if she liked the last bit. ‘Do I need protection? Christian doesn’t know me at all; he has never seen me before.’