A blinded shock

Present day.

Jeremy was singing solemnly, his deep, sexy voice mirrored the sad song perfectly, I could picture him with his eyes and his face showing his pain, his sorrow. We were performing for our project; the audience was the class and the tutor-Mr. Yaemin. Jeremy was strumming the semi-acoustic guitar and I was seated a few ways from him, playing on the baby grand.

The class sat in front of us, all of them were quiet. I could sense them watching us, with tears in their eyes. I played my heart out, letting my fingers mirror the sadness buried inside me. I thought of Blake, the man who loved me and died because of me. I let the sadness overcome me and the pain almost suffocated me.

I chose a song that tells the same story as mine but I changed the drums part out to add in more of guitar chords and piano solos. It wasn’t mine but I tried to change a lot more of the lyrics so that it fits the description. I added in Jeremy’s lyrics too, letting it rhyme with the song, I was trying to revolve the song with the thought of losing someone but it must be logical too.

The eyes of the whole class were trained on the both of us, none were whispering to each other. All of their attention was captured by our playing. As the song played out, I had to sing the last part out. Jeremy wanted me to even though I decided not to sing. Kenny, that treacherous idiot told him I was able to sing and he pressed me to sing since he didn’t want to be the only one singing the song. He said it’s the hardwork of us both so the two of us should sing together.

He pleaded me endlessly, going on and on that he didn’t want the whole attention trained on him. He said that he felt bad. I almost rejected his idea but he tried that pouty, cute whine of his and I couldn’t resist. I agreed finally.

Now, it was almost time to sing my part. I had a phrase to myself, none of the instruments were supposed to be played. I had all of the attention on me for a few minutes. Jeremy had stopped playing altogether; only the piano keys could be heard as the audience shifted their attention. I could feel Jeremy’s eyes on me as I stared down at my hands. It’s time to sing. I took a breath and sang.

‘As he says I love you forever, forever and always. Please just remember, even if I’m not there,’ I sang and my voice wavered a little at the overwhelming sadness that bit my chest. I stopped playing so my voice rang out clearly, I could hear the emotion brewing underneath.  ‘I’ll always love you forever and always.’

I bit my lip as I felt tears ran down my cheeks, rubbing them away quickly. The last sentence was true; Blake had once told me that and I added it to the song to make it sound more personal when I sang it. The class was in a hushed mood, I could hear some of the girls crying at the back. I felt a hand on my arm and together we stood up, facing the audience. We bowed and I heard applause from them.

‘That was amazing,’ I heard Mr. Yaemin spoke after a moment. He sounded amazed and proud. ‘You two managed to make me cry in front of the class. Both of you have an amazing talent, congratulations.’ I nodded at him and let Jeremy lead me back towards the seats we had vacated earlier.

I sat in between Jeremy and Alexis. The three of us were quiet. It’s as if we shared the same emotion. I could feel the sadness emitting from me in waves. Both of them held my hand swiftly, rubbing their thumbs in soothing circles. I gripped their hands a little tighter and sought comfort in their simple touch.