~Chapter Nineteen~

~10K's P.O.V.~

A day went by since it was already morning. Who could sleep when all I could think about is Alexandria and what Maddox could be doing to her. I kept my knife in my hand and pointing it into the floor. Doc kept making small glances at me while he was driving. Addy needed help fixing a radio so we could contact Citizen Z but I was no help today.

"10K, it's fine" Addy said to me. "I know you are under a lot of stress right now. I can do it."

That's what she said to me earlier. I just wanted Alexandria back. I never felt so much pain. Even with my fathers death, it didn't hurt as bad as this. Made me go silent but now this is worse. I'm not myself. I take my anger out on people and I won't even speak to anybody right now.

I need her here. I need her here with me right now.

Before Cassandra died, there was this other girl named Red. She was a complete badass, just like Alexandria but Alexandria is better. Red was a quiet yet weird girl, but I liked that about her. She cared about her brother more than anything, but until The Man showed up and killed her people, and I got stuck with watching her brother, it got them both killed in the process.

Thinking about that day terrifies me even now. Being separated from Alexandria and not knowing if she is alive or not. I can't lose her like I lost Red and Cassandra. We've made it this far together; I wasn't losing her now.

Just then, Warren jolted up from a dream. I looked over at her and saw her laying her head down on Vasquez. I rolled my eyes and looked back towards Addy who was still working on the radio. It's a shame that I wasn't able to help her but I didn't want to mess it up and I knew I would get angry at her in the end.

Warren made her way up to Doc (who was still driving) and was asking where we were headed. Headed towards death is what I should say because we would get ourselves killed by this Z storm. I don't mind dying, but I would rather die trying to save Alexandria then dying to zombies.

"About 100 miles north of Flagstaff, I'm thinking" Addy had replied to her. At least my hearing was back and I was actually listening to people. I've pretty much blocked them all out now since all they ever ask is if I'm okay.

I just couldn't deal with the fact she was gone. The fact that Maddox took her away and being pulled into that van and I wasn't there to stop it. But even like Vasquez said, I did the right thing. And even if there are consequences to her being taken, at least I know she's still alive now and not shot in the head if I had done something.

"I think we're getting near the Grand Canyon" Doc told Warren.

"I went there once as a kid" Murphy admitted. "It was beautiful." We all looked at Murphy confused. "What? Can't believe I was a kid once?"

"Can't believe you called something beautiful" I mumbled out. Addy looked at me and chuckled. I let out a small smile, but it disappeared. I decided to at least help her out more because I knew she needed it and I didn't need to hear Vasquez run his mouth if we woke him up just for this.

Why couldn't the kid do it, he might ask. It'll turn into an argument and I know that's not what Warren wants.

Warren sat down in the passenger seat and looked out the window. "What's that?" And now she sees the storm. That hell is among us and the end is near. Might be over exaggerating a little bit, but you get the picture.

"10K actually pointed it out earlier" Doc replied to her. "I've been watching it for a while. I hope it's not what I think it is because it's right where we are going."

Addy looked at me and I got up with the antenna: putting my hand up through the ceiling (an opening to the RV) to get signal to reach Citizen Z. As many times as Addy tried reaching him, we heard nothing back from him. We needed to know more about this mission and without him around, we weren't going to know where to go to when we get to California.