Chapter 1

I was on an island with my father. "Hey dad. Can I go explore?" I asked. "Fine Jake. Just don't go far." My father said. I jogged down the stairs and walked down the road. A cool meadow was in front of me. I looked up and saw a demolished house.

What happened here? I thought there were peculiars here. I walked inside the debris. Everything was broken. Chairs and tables were everywhere. Little bits of glass too. I managed to move through all of it. I saw vines leading up a staircase.

I walked up and saw 7 bedrooms. I turned around and saw a girl with blonde hair. I freaked out and ran downstairs. A girl with reddish hair was off to the side. I slipped but managed to get up and ran towards the door. A girl with blackish hair was standing in the doorway.

I slipped on glass and hit my head against the floor and blacked out. I woke up and saw myself moving but I wasn't even walking. I was thrown on sand. "Do you think he'll get sick?" A girl asked. "No. He might be a peculiar." Someone else said.

I looked up and saw a blackish haired girl looking at me. "Come on. Ms.Peregrine doesn't have all day." She said. I got up and followed them through a small crack in the rocks. I felt a weird tingling sensation and then we walked out.

It was the same meadow but the house wasn't demolished. The girl motioned. I was in awe. "So." I started. "Ask Ms.Peregrine." A blondish girl said. They knocked on the door and a woman with her hair tied up answered. "Well, right in time! Hello Jake. I'm Ms.Peregrine." She sad as she help out her hand.

I shook it. "Come in come in!" She said. The 4 girls walked in front of me and out another door. I followed Ms.Peregrine. "Would you like some tea?" She asked me. "Sure." I answered. I was still confused about this whole thing. She handed me my cup and walked me outside.

"As you can see, this is a home for peculiar children." She told me as we walked into the yard. "That's Fiona." She said as she pointed into the garden. A girl with braids was growing a carrot, a huge one in fact. "Over there is Emma, Olive, and Raven." She pointed out.

I looked over and saw the girls by a tree. I saw Raven transform into a bird. A tree brain moved and smacked her in the face. Raven came spiraling down. She hit the ground with a thud. "Oh dear. Excuse me Jake." Ms.Peregrine said as she rushed over to Raven.

Raven transformed back into her normal self and rubbed her head. I walked over. "Raven dear. Are you ok?" Ms.Peregrine asked. Raven nodded. She held her arm. Emma and Olive helped her up. "Emma. Do you mind giving Jake a tour?" Ms.Peregrine asked as she grabbed Raven and walked her inside.

Emma nodded. She walked him back to where the topiaries are. "That's Mildred and Hugh." She told me. I looked over and saw 2 boys playing soccer. "These are the twins and that's Claire behind them." She also said. I waved. We walked in the front yard until I saw something climb over the cliff.

"Emma. There's something climbing over the cliff!" I said. "The holo! That's Raven's job!" Emma said suddenly as she rushed inside. Raven was in the hallway. "Raven! The holo!" Emma told her. "Shoot! I forgot!" Raven said as she grabbed a crossbow from the desk.

She tosses it to me. "Jake. You can see them, try to shoot it." She told me. I nodded. This was my chance. "We need to get the children inside!" Raven said. Emma ran outside. "Ms.Peregrine!" Raven yelled. She walked through the kitchen. "Yes dear?" She asked.

"The holo!" Raven said as she grabbed the crossbow from me and ran outside. "Jake. Help Raven. Come get me if she needs help." She told me sternly. I ran to help her. I saw her disappear from behind a hedge and she never came out. I walked behind and saw a crossbow.

I walked back towards a house when a bird slammed into me. It fell on the ground. "Raven?" I asked. She cooed at me. "You're injured. You can't transform." I said. I scooped her up from the grass. I looked back and saw the holo dead. I walked her inside.

I heard locks and footsteps upstairs. "Someone's here!" Someone said frightened. "Don't worry children. I'll protect you." Ms.Peregrine said from upstairs. I looked down at Raven. She looked up at me and she transformed back but hit the wall.

"Nice job Raven." I said. She smiled faintly but held her arm. I saw Fiona from upstairs. She walked down. "Jake. Your back." She said. "Fiona! Where's Fiona!" Ms.Peregrine said quickly. "Down here Ms. Its's just Jake and Raven." She said. All the children came running down. Then, there was a knock on the door.