Chapter 3

'Hey Ethan,' I said in the sweetest voice I could project, while stretching out the word Ethan.

I had arrived home after my not so surf. Ethan was at the kitchen table studying or something.

'What now, Nic?' He knew I needed something.

'Could you be the best friend ever and drop me into town? I mean, I'm car-less now, so poor me,' I said using a self piteous voice.

Ethan sighed but gave me a slight smile. He gave me an 'explain?' look.

I told him of how I met Mark on the beach. I may have exaggerated a few things so he would want to drive me into town more.

'I better not be driving you in to get your heart broken,' he warned me.

'Nope! Please, I love youuuu' I said, trying to convince him.

'Fine'. He said and I immediately jumped in the air and hugged him.

'And what's this guy going to think when I drop you off on a date?' Ethan added.

'I'll explain the situation. Duh!' I explained.

Ethan rolled his eyes sarcastically. I gave him a big teethy smile. He loves me really. I told Ethan the time and where I needed to go, and so he obliged.

Now, it was time for me to pick an outfit. I decided on a white lace crop top, kind of risky but I wanted to try it! For the bottoms, I decided on slightly ripped at the bottom denim jeans. For shoes, I wore red toms. I also wore a black medium length jacket, because it was November, so freezing!

I came into the kitchen to seek Ethan's approval. He gave me a give thumbs up while saying 'Hot!' I gave him a big smile back.

Ethan drove me into town. It was only a 15 minute drive. I asked him to drop me a couple of minutes before the cafe we were going to go to, just so it wouldn't look too weird.

I stepped out of the car and Ethan raised his voice saying 'Nail it, Nic!' That's Ethan's saying for me. Whenever I go do something, like a date, he'll always say 'Nail it, Nic!' This is why it's great to have a guy best friend.

I walked along the footpath nervously towards the cafe a couple of metres ahead. The place was rather quiet. I didn't like it. I felt paranoid. I felt reminded of the morning before, when the guy shoved me and stole my purse. I turned around to check if anyone was there. No one. I looked at the other side of the street. Just an old man trudging along the footpath. I hated how eerie it felt, how not right it felt. I thought yesterday's 'mugging' hadn't effected me, but somehow I was being reminded of it now. I closed my jacket around me, looked straight down at the ground and walked faster. This was the nerves acting up.

I soon noticed the cafe. But Mark said to meet him in the car park right beside it. I retired to the car park. It looked busier than the road, thankfully. It was filled with cars and some families walking back to their cars. I felt much better here. I soon came to recognise Mark standing in front of his car observing the place around him. He wore a blue button down shirt with light brown chinos. Mannn, did he look good. Those shirts suited him so well. I made my way over to him and he noticed me. He broke into a smile and I saw him observe what I was wearing. Was he happy? Maybe this outfit wasn't appropriate at all. Shit. I couldn't remember the last time I was this nervous with a guy. Well, this morning actually.

'Heyyy,' Mark grinned his usual grin.

'Hey!' I said back, while walking over to him.