4. Crème de la Crème

✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿ ❀

✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿ ❀

LENNOX RICHMOND WASN'T A BAD GIRL. She wasn't one of those girls who didn't look down before they jumped. Regardless of how many Friday nights had blacked out in her memory, or how many shots of vodka she could down in a span of three minutes- a legendary ten- and even regardless of all the stories you would hear the students at SIAP whisper. 

All of that didn't matter; Lennox wasn't a bad girl. That was just something people were lead to believe. It was a character she played, a made-up persona, someone people wanted her to be. Lennox Richmond: the untamed heiress who shopped too much and partied too hard. The rich girl who was reckless, blew money on designer items like it was nothing, and slept with any guy that owned a black Am-ex card. Little did they know, it was all a fraud.

Boredom had her leaning on her lake house's balcony, tapping her manicured nails on the railing as she watched a thin layer of ice threaten to freeze the calm waters of Shanghai's main river. The view from her room, which was on the third floor of the waterfront property, had already burned into her head. 

The once golden-orange trees that sunshine peered through, had shed their leaves; they were now naked and with brittle branches. Dark green pine trees dominated the view, snow sprinkled generously over them like icing sugar on a french pastry. The scenery differed across the river, in Lujiazui, where the super-tall buildings, like Winslow Tower, were located.

Living right on the river gave the Richmond's a bit of serenity opposed to those who occupied the electrifying buildings, but it also made for an amazing view of Shanghai's skyscrapers at night. It was one of the most in-demand houses in the city, but since Mr. Richmond was a real estate mogul, he had no problem getting his hands on its keys.

Speaking of her father, he was the reason Lennox gained the reputation of a "bad girl". It all began in her hometown of Vancouver, circa 2011, when she started to revolt against her father. She lived the classic rich kid tale of a dad who compensated working too much by spoiling his wife and children with material items. Christmas, Thanksgiving, birthdays... you name it, he wasn't there. 

When she was younger, she was too naive to notice it, she was always blinded by expensive jewels and flashy toys. But when she hit twelve years old, it became more and more apparent that the only thing Mr. Richmond prioritised was his multi-million dollar retail company. All Lennox wanted was her father's attention, and she was determined to get it. 

It was slow at first, her disobedience that is. It started with a little extra eyeliner here and there, wearing her school skirt an inch or two higher than usual, staying out a couple hours after her curfew, and other quiet acts of rebellion. But her dad didn't seem to care, he didn't even seem to notice, and it infuriated her. 

The more frustrated Lennox grew with her father, the more desperate her cries for attention were. Those little acts began to occur on a daily basis, and they started to take a more dangerous turn when they moved to Shanghai that same year. Drugs plagued every up-scale private school in the city, appearing in a new form in every other kickback.