18. Ecstasy and Skyscrapers

✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿ ❀

AT THE RIPE AGE OF FOURTEEN, Lennox Richmond had become a M1nt Club regular. She sat at the bar, night after night, guzzling down their delectable Vodkatinis. Whether it be toasting celebratory cocktails after passing finals or seeking shelter after a hard day at home, M1nt was her go-to. The employees at nightclubs and bars in Shanghai didn't card, and if they did, they turned a blind eye to their glaringly fake IDs. They had a knack for ignoring the young, foreign, and rich.

"Want something to drink?" Lennox felt a breathy whisper in her ear, and then an arm wrap around her waist sturdily. The intense scent of cigarettes in his breath was strong enough to disclose his identity.

Leo Najjar didn't smoke cigarettes, he smoked cigars. If it was his touch, it would have smelled like Dutch Masters and maybe a hint of Hennessy. She spun around in her Saint Laurent booties, catching sight of the legendary Zac Wylde. Lennox couldn't help but to admit she felt a tiny bit disappointed it was not Leo.

"No thank you," Lennox countered bitterly, peeling Zac's hands off of her sequin Fendi dress, "I can get one myself." The way he touched her was so different from the way Leo had just a few short hours ago. Uncaring and cold. Like she was an object.

With that cunning grin of his, Zac snickered and rested against the wooden countertops of the bar. "You don't trust me after I slipped some Special K into your martini?"

So that's what that was. Lennox turned her gaze away in disgust, her royal-blue eyes burning with indignation. "Are we going to do this or what?"

"Aggressive and to the point, just how I like 'em," Zac directed her towards a blonde teenager in a vibrant Versace mini-skirt who was dancing by the DJ Booth. "And proceed with caution, will you? Her father is the Czech ambassador. I told her to meet you in the restroom. Now come here, sugar."

Zac embraced her, his fingers making their way up the hem of her bodycon dress and onto her bare thighs. Lennox pushed her dress back down and jerked away, gripping the bag tightly in her hand as she beelined to the other side of the bar to order a kamikaze.

After downing the bitter liquid and fluffing her hair, Lennox took one intense inhale and proceeded to the ladies' room. The girl soon followed her in, bright-eyed and bushy tailed, small hands excitedly clutching a Jimmy Choo evening bag. The brighter bathroom lights exposed her youth; the freckled face of an eager freshman peeked through her silky platinum-blonde hair.

They exchanged pleasantries and Lennox discreetly slid over the bag of ecstasy pills. Lennox recognised that she wasn't much older than the girl, but a sick feeling of guilt came over her. 

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Lennox whacked him with her shoulder bag, catching him by surprise when she got back to the bar, "She's a child, Zac."