Preliminaries: Intro

✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿ ❀

 shang·hai

/ˈshanghī/

A global financial centre located in China's central coast.

e·lite

/əˈlēt,āˈlēt/

A group or class of persons considered to be superior to others because of their intelligence, social standing, or wealth. 

· author's note ·

Hello, my name is Tevy, and I am 17 years old. I'm originally from Brazil, but I lived in Shanghai for six years and fell head over heels in love with that city. It's so busy and chaotic, but magical at the same time. It has a sparkle, something that makes everyone come back to it. This novel is a secret love letter to Shanghai. Throughout the story, you'll get a taste of the city, the mega hotels, fine restaurants, the Elite group of people who occupy it, and their beautiful homes.

I've lived in other places in Asia as well, which also inspired me to write this book. There is a certain something about being a teenager in a completely different country. No one knows who you are, no one speaks the same language as you; when you walk the streets, you feel an incredible rush. It's like a new type of freedom. And I really hope I'll capture that with this book.

Since I've gone to private school all my life, I've been around extremely wealthy people and let's just say that their lives are beyond ordinary. They have ridiculous problems - god forbid there's a scratch on dad's new lambo - that I find rather humorous. So I decided to mash life as a teenage rich kid with life in a foreign country. It's like a regular rich kids book, but with a twist!

I'd also like to point that this book is about rich teenagers living in a foreign country. This story is set at an international school. You must have a foreign passport to attend an international school. From my experience, most of the students at my school were European.  Although this book does have characters of color, there are no main characters who are Chinese. I just want to make it clear my intention is to throw in teenage characters in a country that is not theirs with a culture that they do not know, which is why most of my Asian characters are not of Chinese descent. 

That being said, I support writers including diverse characters in their books and understand the importance of representation. I lived in Asia for twelve years and it is important for me to depict China and Chinese culture fairly. I try my best, but understand that is not always enough. My inbox is always open if you have any concerns, so feel free to message me if you want to discuss anything. 💕 

And lastly, I hope you enjoy this book! The story, the characters, the setting, and plot... it's all a labour of my love for Shanghai. 

Happy reading! 🥰 

· disclaimer ·

This story has mentions of underage drinking, drug use, rape, self-harm, and suicide. It includes sexual situations, and has some use of strong language.

· copyright ·

All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

If you copy this book, you will be contacted by my PI. Sorry this is so aggressive but I've been plagirized way too many times to fuck around. So yes, I am "that bitch" who will go to the ends of the Earth to find out who you are, where you live, your phone number, your parents phone number and boy, you don't wanna know. If you are inspired by this book and want to adapt it then I kindly ask you to please credit me. Otherwise, think twice and don't plagiarize. :)

 © 2017 imjustcoollikethat, All Rights Reserved. 

✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿ ❀