Chapter 4: Oh no, you were about to kiss me!

CHAPTER 4: Oh no, you were about to kiss me!

Zack's POV:

I went out and turned left. When I finally arrived to the refrigerator room, I took some vanilla ice cream.

Then I went back. I could see Vanessa standing there, staring at the kitchen or God knows what. She was like the first girl I ever saw admiring a kitchen. The other girls that I usually went out with (don't get me wrong, Vanessa and I weren't on a date, or at leas I thought so) were all bored of everything; bored of life. But she looked so happy. I can't say that she was too much of a difference; she was pretty, smart and funny but she had this— I don't know what to call it—like a special talent. I felt so good when I watched her.

I came in, and I could see her face lightning up. Oh man, she had a gorgeous smile.

"So all you can get me is some vanilla ice-cream?" She asked amused.

"Well, you seemed pretty interested in it when we were outside."

"Yea, but now I'm literally starving, bring me some real food." She said laughing.

Maybe she's joking...

Or...

I JUST HEARD A GIRL SAYING I'M STARVING. BRING ME FOOD?! Shouldn't girls be obsessed with their bodies and not eat anything at all? Seems there's a beginning for everything. This was why I liked her. She seemed so different. Different good.

"Fine!" I said still amazed.

I made a few steps to a table full of chips and chicken. I took some chicken legs and some fries and put them in the dishes I had in my hand. I turned back, but I saw she wasn't at the table. I looked around, and I finally saw her coming my way.

"Took me a while to find the ketchup," she smiled.

We went to the table, and I helped her sit down. She took the ketchup and started to spread it all over the fries. She looked good, even when she ate.

"What?" Vanessa said with her mouth almost full.

"Ughhh, nothing." I said, realizing that I was staring like an idiot.

"So...are you and Ryan like best friends?"

"Yea, kinda. He has been my best friend since kinder-garden. You know, he's really nice and cool if you know him." I tried to complete.

"Well, he did seem okay."

I could see it on her face. She was lying. Why would she be so upset about a boy calling her ‘duckling’?! It's not like he meant it; he was just messing around.

"Why don't you like it when people call you ‘duckling’? It's kinda cute." I dared to ask.

"Please don't start."

"What? I just asked a simple question; that's how communication works." I said, rolling my eyes in a dramatic way.

"I know how communication works, jerk." She laughed. "I just don't like to talk about it— it brings out embarrassing memories."

"Come on, it can't be that bad."

"Do you really want me to tell you?”

"Sherlock, how did you figure that out?!" I said with a chuckle.

"Huh...fine. My mom used to call me that since I was little. As I grew older it became pretty embarrassing. Once, my ex best friend came over, and she heard my mom calling me that. She laughed. She was my friend so I trusted her, and we joked about it. But one day we had a huge fight and separated. She became, as people like you call it ‘popular’, and a heartless—excuse my expression—bitch. One day, in the cafeteria, I confronted her in front of everybody. She felt offended and started to tell everyone that my mother calls me 'duckling'. The next day, every person in the high school mocked me. They were all so cruel: 'Where are you going darling? Or shall I say duckling?!' and even worse, 'Hey Duck, Donald Duck'."

"Ohh, I'm so sorry..."

"It's okay. It has been a long time since then, and I really need to start acting normal."

"But, there's nothing wrong with that word; I think it suits you. Ducks are pretty and good swimmers." I laughed.

"So this is your way of calling me pretty? You're a duck?!" She answered with a giggle.

"Actually, 'duckling'." I corrected, getting up.

"How could I make such a mistake?" Vanessa laughed.

"Speaking of mistakes, don't you think you should clear things out with Ryan? He didn't know all of this. And after all, we will have to survive three weeks in the same hut."

"Well, I guess so."

"Okay then. Are you finished?" I asked, pointing to the empty dish.

"Yes." She smiled.

I turned off the Christmas lights, and we went outside. The red jacket I gave her was a bit big, but she still looked amazing.

We climbed the hill without talking. Being quiet was killing me. We finally arrived at the hut. I didn't know why, but we both stopped on the doors steps, looking at each other. Even though I was freezing, I couldn't move. Her long, blonde hair was falling over her shoulders covering her rosy cheeks.

Oh, she was perfect!

Nope, I can't do this.

NO, I just met her!

Gosh...

Ahhh, fine...I can't hold myself back.

I grabbed her hand and pulled her closer. I gently placed my arms around her waist. She didn't reject me. I leaned towards her and...

-------------------------------------------

Vanessa's POV

I didn't stop him. I could feel his heart, beating fast against my chest. He ran his fingertips up my forearm, leaving a trail of goose bumps blooming in their wake. I threw my arms over his shoulders and pulled him closer to me. Because he was taller than I, I had to reach up on my tiptoes, but I didn't mind.

Just when I thought this was the perfect moment, I heard a voice:

"WHAT THE F*CK?"

Hey there, don't forget to vote if you liked this this chapter! :)