shaken up seltzer, 2

your heart's a rose garden / your thorns have torn you up right from the start. and yes, there is pain. like stars splitting apart the skin of the night. darling, you look tantalising with the sky's blood smeared on your skin.

he says you prick yourself because you don't know how to take care of the roses yet. you think thorns keep beautiful things from being ruined by touch.

he's beautiful to you, and when you touch, he comes alive in the shades of daybreak. eat the horizon, the sun tells you, watch the dawn melt on your tongue. darling, the way he looks at you is almost angelic, his incisors in the sky, the day's first breath caught in his lungs. he shows you what it's like to kiss heaven, teaches you how to make the angels sigh.

you try to forget all the times he's called you a bramble rose but his garments are the red of pomegranates and blood. maybe you've pricked him too. maybe you're beautiful too.

or maybe it's all a dream. maybe there's too much sugar in your bloodstream, maybe your heart's too in love with the way he splits the horizon apart for you in his hands like an orange, maybe it's just your rotting ribs. maybe it's that, the graveyard around your heart, the decay. you'd think it keeps the lovers away but he picks at the bones, makes a trestle to your heart. the first rose is born from darkness. this feeling comes at night, blind in the dusk of your thoughts on the cold tiled veranda. maybe you're a dream. maybe he is. the magic 8 ball fell and broke open like the sunrise when you asked. sprayed you bluer than the sky.

or maybe it's all a mirage, the drowsy sunlight pooling in your belly like a gold acacia, thoughts unwinding like spoils of wild summer curls down the arch of your back.

or maybe you're drunk on sunshine liquor 'cause all you can think about is your ripe heart waiting for his teeth to sink in. to be undone. for your blood to stain his skin. at least that way he'll never forget you. at least that way he'll see the vision of you in the mirror, feel you on his skin if his eyes close.

you doubt yourself a lot. you're your best friend. but sometimes, you're your worst enemy.

i have a boyfriend now. edit: never mind, he was really clingy and needy and i realized i only saw him as a friend but he didn't want to accept that so bye.

edited: august 6, 2017