Chapter 8

Somehow, it was the roof that Christine ended up on rather than packing. It was snowing outside and freezing. It's so cold. She thought but leant over the edge anyway. She hummed quietly to herself for a while until she felt nothing but numbness run throughout her whole body. She shivered once or twice before moving under the awning and looking out at the white flakes that rapidly fell from the sky.

She sighed quietly and looked up at the bright moon that shone down, a small smile grazed her lips and she stopped humming. Taking in the beauty of the night sky, feeling that she appreciated the darkness more now that she was in it quite often. She found herself sliding down to the ground from against the back wall, trying to force herself to relax a little.

She shivered at the coldness of the ground and wall as it rested fully against her, she took a moment to let the feeling sink in before all the thoughts came rushing back to her mind, everything she'd done, the fact that she'd hurt both Erik and Raoul was like a knife piercing her heart. That happy feeling she'd felt just moments before whilst watching the snow was forcefully ripped away and she felt nothing but pain, pain in her chest. The kind of pain that moved down to the pit of her stomach and formed the kind of nervousness to make one feel like they need to vomit. She blankly stared off into the night sky, she frowned when she no longer saw the stars and the moon and all she saw was dark. Complete black. She tried shaking the feeling away, but it was too overwhelming. She quickly struggled to her feet and held the wall as if it were her only chance to survival. She looked around, feeling the blackness creep into her mind and take control. She started to cry and frantically looked around. 

She opened the door and screamed when she was suddenly grabbed. She thrashed and tried getting away but the arms that held her only squeezed tighter.

"Christine, my love, it's only me, please calm down," Erik whispered and kissed the temple of her forehead. 

Christine stopped and melted into him with puddles of tears, "Take me away from here, Erik, my angel, please-" she whispered and looked up at him, completely helpless. Her breathing slowed down by the feeling of comfort she felt when he held her.

"Just you and I, we can bring Gustave, we can run away, take me far, far from here, love me."  she became quite limp at that and dragged him down to the floor with her slowly. 

"Christine, Christine, you don't want that. I can't make you as happy as you think I can," he kicked the door closed and leant against the wall, he readjusted her and pulled her close.

"How do you not hate me." she whispered, using him as her new lifeline. 

Erik simply looked at her, giving a weak smile, "You're my entire world, I wouldn't want to see that crumble. I lost you once, I'm not willing to do that again." he said, though he was in fact upset with her, "I'm willing to forget it ever happened, but you can't go back to him. Promise me that you won't." he said sharply. 

Christine only looked to him, "I- I promise." she uttered, leaving her eyes to intently search his, "What have I ever done to deserve such a wonderful man?"

He brought his hand up and gently caressed her cheek, he wiped a stray tear with his thumb and moved his hand to brush hand behind her ear, "Only you, wouldn't be able to see the true angel that you are."

She blinked and leaned into his soft touch, "Kiss me, my dear Erik."

He intertwined on of their hands and brought her hand to his lips, softly pressing his lips against it and leaving them to linger for a short while before cupping her face and then leaning in and pressing his lips against her cheek and then the corner of her mouth, and finally her lips. 

She closed her eyes and placed her hands over his, holding into him firmly so he wouldn't pull away. She kissed him fervently and stayed there, "I love you, my angel." she mumbled against his lips, earning a slight grin against her own.

"Those are my favorite three words," he responded quietly back and extended his lips to rub against hers again, "Mm, I love you, Christine Daae."