1 | LONGING

(желание)

3 months later.

   "RESPONDERS SAY THE women had a metal arm..."

   Steve looked up from his place at the table. Sam was sitting there, too. His head also whipping around with such force that the bones in his neck let out a satisfying crack, staring at the television in awe at the words. Both Steve and him just stared, not quite sure how to assess the words that the news reporter had just spoken.

   Bucky trailed out of the hallway in the midst of their staring, a towel wrapped around his hips, right in between their vision from where they were standing, to the television. His expression became stiff as he broke the silence the boys were conjuring up in the room. He grew somewhat worried. The boys were barely ever silent, at least, to this extent. Sam was always cracking jokes and Steve talking about the most random of things.

   "What?" Bucky snapped, his wet hair from his shower only moments before was hanging in his eyes as he turned. His eyes were now glued to the television as the news played a clip from an attack in Berlin. A women with short, cropped, brown hair was shown there, running and jumping and avoiding bullets and cars rolling past her. It looked like absolute chaos at its finest.

   Steve picked up the remote, pausing the news, making Bucky turn around with an agitated glare etched into his face, obviously aimed for Steve.

   "What the he—"

   "Listen," Steve urged, shooting an equally venomous glare straight towards Bucky, Steve agitated now with Bucky's constant anger. He picked up the remote, pressing the rewind button and backing it up to right before Bucky walked in, then hitting play again, letting the screen play out right before his eyes.

   "Responders said the women had a metal arm..." Pause.

   Bucky was silent for a moment before he brought up a hand, roughly raking it through his hair and letting out a groan. "What the fuck?"

   Sam and Steve looked at each other, both of them had worried expressions and hearts beating faster in their chests. What could she be?

   "Do you think it's HYDRA?" Steve asked hesitantly, not wanting to trigger Bucky in a way that would make him freak out. A metal arm? What else could it be? Steve had only seen it one other time before, on Bucky.

   Bucky paused, ducking into the hallway and retrieving a shirt, boxers, and pants, pulling them on out of sight from Sam and Steve, Sam who would surely make a cocky remark, even if the moment wasn't right. As he came out, he ran his metal hand over the flesh of his face, letting out a frustrated groan. "No," he simply said, sitting down on the couch and stroking his chin in thought. "I don't remember them bringing in anyone who looked like that, I don't think," he said, quietly, wracking his brain to try and remember the familiarity of the women. But, to his dismay, there was nothing. His memory was destroyed, he knew that. He hated the fact that even if the women was from HYDRA, he wouldn't be able to tell.

   "Could they have and you just not remember?" Sam asked, his tone cocky for whatever reason. Bucky shot him a glare, his nostrils flaring and fists clenching from anger and agitation, something him and the boys both are starting to think he always feels.

   "I guess? Possibly," Bucky admitted, his eyes trailing to the television screen once again, now glued there, watching the girl's strategic movements.

   Sam sighed, letting out a grunt and standing. "Does she look evil?"

   "She looks like me," Bucky cut in, his body standing up rigidly, now breathing heavily. "But I don't remember her," he said, clenching his fists in anger. "I can never fucking remember anything," he said, speaking his thoughts into the air and turning away from the boys. "Even if I did know her, I wouldn't be able to fucking help because my memory is shot!" He shouted, refraining from putting his metal fist through the wall.

   "Buck, calm down. You know this isn't your fault," Steve said, walking over and setting a hand on Bucky's shoulder, making him stiffen under his touch. He breathed deeply. "You don't even know if she is from HYDRA. It's just a dull possibility, let it go for now," Steve said, patting Bucky's shoulder as he nodded, running a hand through his long, brown hair, pushing the wet hair from his face and causing tiny water droplets to fall on to his grey shirt. He stayed silent, disappearing into the kitchen to fetch something to eat.

   A startling ringing sound brought Sam and Steve out of their deep thought. Steve sighed, pushing aside the hustling thoughts about Bucky, picking it up and answering.

   "Hello?"

   "Steve? Hey, that girl is on the news again. Did you see the shit she caused in Berlin?" Natasha's voice came through the other end. Of course she saw the news.

   "Yeah, I'm watching it now. She's been on the news five times in the past three months," Steve answered, running a hand over the counter top and letting out a groan. Bucky suddenly emerging from the kitchen, holding a cup of coffee with a scowl. Muttering, "thanks for telling me, asshole."

   Steve ignored it, rolling his eyes. "Do you think we should go in?" He asked, tracing the lines on his jeans with his finger and waiting for Natasha to give the signal. He heard feedback on the other end, waiting for an answer.

   "Let's go."