Leaving Home

Sitting and waiting in the living room with my older sister Shae. Waiting to be called for dinner. Wondering if I'll ever get to say good-bye to my dad. My mother Evelyn keeps saying that dad has gone away for work, but I know that's not true.

"Come get your food" said Evelyn from the dining hall, sounding like she's talking over a mega-phone.  It was a quiet dinner like usual. When we finished our dinner. "Do the dishes" Evelyn said as shes walking away with her wine glass.

Cleaning the dishes with Caleb and Shae has always been fun. This time was different, Evelyn went ballistic and started throwing plates around. Caleb always has protected us from Evelyn's outbursts, but this time one of the plates caught Shae's arm.

 "Stop" I said to Evelyn screaming and yelling at her. 

Caleb rushed to Shae to stop the bleeding. I called Shae's uncle Nicky to come help with Shae with her arm and to calm Evelyn down.

Nicky arrived to help out with Shae and Evelyn. "Hey sweetie" Nicky said in a calm voice putting pressure on her arm. A few minutes later Nicky went into the sitting room to talk to Evelyn and to see what was going on.

"Evelyn why do you do this to your self and to the kids" Nicky said in a gentle voice to sort things out.

"I'm scared to what I might say when my children ask were their father is" Evelyn said in a slurred voice from drinking. "Their so young and don't fully understand of what is happening around them".

We went to the hospital with Nicky to get Shae's arm stitch up. "What happened to you cause I have to write up a report and get the police in with children incidents" said the doctor with a worried tone.

"I.....I dropped a plate in the kitchen and it caught my sisters arm by accident" I said in a scared tone.

"OK then the police won't be called, but may I ask were is you parents" said the doctor.

"Our uncle is in the waiting room" said Caleb. "That's fine" the doctor said while stitching up Shae's arm.

 On returning home from the hospital Evelyn was waiting. "Please go to bed children" Evelyn said in a calm manner. We went off to our room while Nicky was left to talk with Evelyn.

 The next three days were very bland and there wasn't much to do.

"Time to head to the airport Alexandra" said Evelyn in a cheerful tone. "Coming mum" I said quietly not wanting to leave my siblings. I said my good bye and got into the car with my suitcase and music stuff. I will miss Spencer so much since it my home town.