Pills

On another side of the building, O’Malley was doing a precautionary check on AJ. AJ was still feeling lightheaded and nauseous. The moment he sat down on that bed, he hurled out his content. Glen was as confused as ever. O’Malley had to make sure that AJ would sit still, which was like trying to sit a little kid down and make them eat their veggies. It took a whole lot more effort just to take a tiny drop of his blood for a test. He had this weird feeling and taking a tiny drop of AJ’s blood was enough to squish it away. It was his medical-doctor instinct or something. “I’ll be right back with the result.”

            “What the hell is that test for? I’m alright.” AJ scowled, almost lurching at O’Malley.

            “Yea, sure. It’s like that bloody nose and the hurling was just a part of your everyday routine.”

            “Dad, please, just… Just listen to him…” Glen snapped and he was obviously freaking out as well,

            “I’ll be back in a jiff.” O’Malley saluted and walked away,

            AJ lolled his head backwards and he could feel his blood going the wrong way. It flowed back down into his throat and it tasted like iron. “You should be grateful that you’re an only child, Glen.”

            “What’s that supposed to mean?” He chuckled but disappeared quickly, “Dad, I know how it feels.”

            “To feel what exactly?” He blinked, the taste of iron still strong on his throat.

            He sighed, “I get that feeling too, dad.”

            AJ was silent, slightly surprised of Glen. He doesn’t want to accept the fact that Glen knew what he was feeling. Then guilt calmly crashed in like waves during low tide. Then something came into his mind, but he doesn’t know why or if it has to do with anything. “You get that feeling too?”

            “I guess so.” He shrugged, “This empty spot that you’ve been saving your whole life for. And the relief when you finally know who deserves that spot. How you wish that this person would stay forever. Like… I guess… How the guys, I don’t know, end up being best friends with some kid that hey accidentally met. And how it feels when this person just pack their bags and leave like nothing’s going to change afterwards… Yea, I guess I get that feeling too.”

            AJ pondered about what was on his mind. Maybe he understood why Glen felt like that. Even better, maybe he knew who this person is. On the other hand, he might not have any idea if he was thinking straight. With all this lightheadedness, nausea, and the bloody nose; he may not be thinking properly at the moment. Again, however, it’s worth a shot. He just needed to slip it right out of his mouth like it was nothing, “Glen, what happened?”

            “Don’t worry about it, dad.” He waved dismissingly, “Worry about it later. Right now, you should make sure that your nose stops bleeding. It’s kind of freaking me out a little.”

            “If I die, I want you to just forget me.”

            “Don’t be ridiculous dad. What?”

            “I’m serious. Just forget about me and move on.” He trailed, “If you don’t want that feeling then don’t love and care too much for one person. I know it’s something you can’t avoid, but it’s kind of true.”

            Glen was surprised and confused at the same time, “Dad, you’re not thinking straight.”

            “Incase it happens.”